How to pass the "offseason"

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who are you to say that I or soemone who's only hobby is hunting is depressed? I have a wife and 2 kids and we are extremely happy. Why are you making assumptions and where does this self-righteous nonsense come from? When I'm not hunting or preparing for hunting season I go to work, I go home and enjoy the afternoon with my family, then I pay my taxes....yet somehow I am still the depressed bad guy. LOL...some people.

2. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fishing, set up trail cams, scouting grizz/black bear hunting in the spring, some 3D shoots, baseball

3. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have much time or money for anything else with college and work.. I am 100% not depressed, bowhunting or getting away to do anything related to bow hunting is what I look forward to all day

4. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im glad im not the only one who feels this way....Although I got plenty to do, I've got 2 boys in college, one who plays division 1 baseball so that will keep me busy during spring early summer....Turkey Hunting, Fishing, Scouting, Food Plots, Trail Cameras, Mineral Sites, New Bow Coming, etc....
    Oh I got plenty to do...Oh, I forgot I put out around 200 tomato plants every year too...But I can assure you of this...I NEVER STOP THINKING ABOUT BEING IN THE WOODS AT FULL DRAW.....getting ready to turn one loose on a big whitetail...Come on October!!
    Creeks!

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy my many other activities that aren't bowhunting.

6. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fish, turkey hunt, fish. Will also enjoy working in the garden and doing yard work. Yes I like doing yard work.

7. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bull riding, food plots, minerals, turkeys, trail cams, and archery practice.

8. concepthomes1

concepthomes1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We're moving into our new home on 2/6. Once we get settled, I'll devote time to getting comfortable with my new bow and hopefully more fishing this spring and summer than years past.

9. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put a lot of time into my food plot and practicing for a stand I have set up in my yard where I move the bag from 10 yards all the way to 60 yards to get the perfect form to shoot at different angles and distances, practice in my yard at distances from 10-90 yards from the ground, do some 3D shoots, run trail cameras, ask around for permission to new spots, get comfortable with my new 2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35 and make sure I can shoot that accurately out to 80 yards consistently, tend to my garden and my chickens, work on my 1978 F150 to turn her into Farm Truck 2.0 hahah

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My off season last year was 362 days, so I find ways to stay busy. Sometimes it is hard not to hunt when the season opens but I know I have to stick with the plan and the plan has worked very well.

11. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much in this order until 10/1:

Coyote hunting, shed hunting, turkey hunting, busy season for my business, fishing, "redneck" yacht clubbing, ATVing, food plotting, trail cameras, velvet scouting, hanging stands, 2nd busy season for my business, and BOOM...it 10/1

Probably going to sprinkle in some land improvements on my land. i.e. tree planting, TSI, water hole, Native grasses

12. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We dont run trail cameras and we hunt public ground so wont be planting any food pots,so for the summer probably just,fishing,swimming,traveling,and shooting my bow every day.The ticks are so bad were we hunt that we wont be doing hardly any summer scouting unless its from the truck which probly wont happen becauce most of our spots are back in a good ways.

13. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    O i forgot about turkey hunting.

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I take the month of Jan. Off, then start back working my land for this season.

Sent from my XT830C

15. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey hunting, ice fishing, shed hunting, work, school, practicing, scouting.

16. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Coyote hunting till the water gets soft, then i'll be Bowfishing every few days until next winter. Call me crazy but i've chosen bowfishing trips over early season deer hunts numerous times

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Working! :mad:. Hoping to do some turkey hunting...in about 71 days 9 hours and change.

~Bill

18. 5 seas

5 seas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was still able to hunt until the 31st. However, My area just received 25 inches of snow. Game over. I'll shoot everyday in my basement.

19. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hog hunt, shed hunt, food plots, minerals (may check out monster raxx), shooting, shooting, and more shooting.

20. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Lots of things to do.. there is no offseason, I would call it the "onseason" which is a time to reflect, and get better for next year. Scout, prep equipment, reflect on what was good or bad, and make changes. Here is a youtube video that has some good advice and might help!

Deer hunting: Make next season great-now! - YouTube