How to pass the "offseason"

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jan 25, 2015.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I continue to work my actual paying jobs more, but as for hunting the "offseason" is more busy than inseason for me personally.

2. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    placing out whitetail institute vitamin mineral supplements in spring and summer, and planting whitetail institute foodplots

3. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year we are in the process of moving so that we can have our own land to hunt this fall. So... I'm packing, painting, organizing and staging a house for sale... all the while dreaming of our future hunting property :)

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    research Whitetail Institute's ingredients in these "mineral" supplements...you may be surprised just how salty this "salty" stuff is.

5. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My off season will consist of some late season scouting then I will be coaching my kids softball and T ball games then hopefully some turkey hunting and then I will do as much fishing as time allows!!!

6. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Md we still have till Saturday the 31st, so I got 2 hunts planned for Thursday and Friday, it's a last ditch effort to say the least. After that, I plan on getting away for a bit (probably a month or 2) from anything hunting, not going to shoot, not going to think just relax and retool for a better season next yr. Sometimes for me it's about getting away, taking time off so that way when I do get back into the swing of things it gives me a greater and deeper passion for Hunting, if not I kinda get burned out some, even more so during the season cause our season opened Sept 5 and like I said it ends January 31st..long season....I do however plan on Turkey Hunting a lot more this season then I did last...and of course the normal everyday gifts...being a better Husband, Father and Friend.....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys need more hobbies that just hunting and getting ready for hunting. I'm not depressed at all, looking forward to doing some fishing, some travelling, some home improvements, and working on the honey-do list. September will be here before we know it.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As Ty said, I would look into something with more calcium and phosphorus and less salt. Record Rack Deer Mineral and Monster Raxx are the two best that I know of, almost identical in makeup but different prices. The salty stuff is an attractant but won't do much for them supplemental wise. The key is to have enough salt to attract them to it, but packed with minerals so they actually benefit from it.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trailcams, shed hunting, mineral sites, food plots, turkey hunting, hang new tree stands and attend the 2015 Bowhunting.com GTG.

10. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I got a 120 mile kayak trip I'm planning, I got a honey-do list longer than Santa's naughty list for politicians, and turkey hunting. I'm not depressed, I'm just anticipating:-)

11. Gut Pile

Gut Pile Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt for the gear I want for next season....the hunting just never ends

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buying gear for the next deer season? ;)

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why do I need more hobbies than just hunting? I enjoy the process of preparing for hunting season. I fish and camp too but I think it goes without saying that we can have as many or as little hobbies as we want.

14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%. Whose to say we cant only like hunting, (not that I do) but thats just what we do.

15. quadlee

quadlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    trapping, trapping, and more trapping, crappie fishing, yo yo fishing for catfish, turkey hunting, shed hunting, scouting, ,mineral sites,food plots, trail cams, and much practice with the Z7, did i mention trapping ? lol bye the way new member to forums here. I have been active reader on here for awhile, decided to create a account and start interacting with you guys.. off season is always the most busy season for me. things are in full swing wide open now for me. things dont slow down until the last wknd of sept for me when Tennessee seasons archery seasons opens

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wallet is a little lite to have a lot of different hobbies. Hobbies = fun, fun = money.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Scouting, fishing, kids, dogs, house, making extra money, supporting wife, kids sports, working hard at work, the yard....and on and on. I am actually surprised this month moved so fast....one more month close to hunting season

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Scouting, shed hunting, clearing land for food plots, hinge cutting, making bedding areas, creating my own funnels and pinch points, and following and supporting my sons high school hockey team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you can eat vanilla ice cream your whole life but I prefer variety in life. I have a body and mind that can accommodate multiple interests in relative simultaneousness. I guess I can see why so many are depressed.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Judgemental much? :D

I don't have children yet, but when I do become a father you can bet your sweet biffy my days of multiple interests and hobbies will dwindle to one or two outside of family. Right now sure I do a ton of travel softball, fishing some, camping, antique picking (yeah I know I know), sports obsessing, website designing, second job working, gardening, shooting and other misc. hobbies....but hunting is ALWAYS on my mind and the thing I never stop thinking about.

As long as time and money allows me to have multiple I will...the second either changes I will change as well. I'll be no more depressed or less of a man or being if that day should come.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015