Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

How to hunt my buck hotspot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Sep 29, 2016.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need to pick your brains for some hunting wisdom. I am onto a group of bucks on one of the properties I hunt. The background is explained in this thread:

http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/what-do-when-semi-busted-group-bachelor-bucks-82648/

Tuesday I moved my stand and used a climber to get into a more concealed location among some thick stuff. This was closer to where they were coming out of the woods into the field. Unfortunately, I worked up a big sweat getting up in the tree. First buck came in behind me, from the downwind location and walked directly under my stand, I passed on him as I couldn’t tell his rack size and it wasn’t super obvious he was Mr. Big. A second buck came in almost directly underneath as well, didn’t like what he smelled(i think) and slowly took a different path around me. A third deer, a spike came in right underneath me and hung out for a while, I think he was trying to figure out what my scent was as I saw him licking his lips and what looked like licking some branches on the ground that I had cut to get in the tree.

So, I know this one patch of woods is a real hotspot for these bucks that at least as of last week were in their bachelor group. Do I keep hunting it or do I give it a rest so not to pressure the deer too much? I was in there last wednesday the 21st, then this Tuesday the 27th. I got busted on the 21st, but not on the 27th.

I of course want to give the spot rest so the bucks don't feel pressured, but I am also cognizant that this might be the time to make a move and try to bring one of these bucks down. Right now the property is receiving very little pressure, but as the season progresses, the # of hunters and pressure increases. So, this could be a great time to hunt them, especially since I know where they are and roughly when/where they're coming out during the end of daylight.

Thanks!

2. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I firmly believe in letting the woods die down for a bit to go back in and hunt. my success has skyrocketed in the last few years because I have been waiting for the perfect day to hunt my "honey hole". I hunt a few other stands/locations day after day but I have a spot where I only hunt it if the conditions are right, I see deer there almost every time I sit.

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you truly believe you were busted. I'd leave it along for a couple of weeks. It's really hard to say if it's ruined or not. I've spooked bucks one weekend and saw/shot them the very next weekend in the same spot. However, I've also spooked bucks and never saw them again. it's a 50/50 chance regardless. But you can't be certain unless you experience it.