How to Handle Situation

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kb1785, Oct 31, 2015.

1. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My brother and I completed a purchase of a piece of property on Sept. 30. As we are both avid bow hunters we wanted to begin managing the property to maximize the deer potential. The problem is that for the last several years, I would guess 10 plus years, the property owners were absentee and it was treated as public hunting. Matter of fact my brother found a guy that had just killed a spike buck during early muzzleloader season and that just illustrates the difference of deer management as we want to harvest mature deer and not just shoot everything. As we have traveled the property we have seen numerous treestands and cameras. We want to hunt the property ourselves and manage the deer taken the problem is 1) informing the current users that they are no longer allowed and 2) trying to keep fairly good relations with neighbors which may have used the property.

I fully expect that no matter what we do there will be disappointed and perhaps some conflicts. What we have done since the purchase is 1) Post the property with Private property and no trespassing signs, 2) the treestands that we could find we put a note in a plastic baggy informing them that we are giving them to November 1st to remove their equipment and 3) we have spoken to the local game wardens and explained the situation and they have agreed to patrol the area and provide a presence.

The question is what more can we or should we do.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, sounds like one that isn't going to be a quick fix.

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

If there is a communal parking area that people were using or a piece of the road frontage that stands out, you might want to put a sign that says "Land Under New Ownership" in bigger letters and put that same message you're putting on the cards someplace on the sign. Seems like you're going about it right with the notes in bags on stands and cameras. Best of luck!

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would visit the neighbors in person to introduce yourself and get things going off on the right foot.

5. norseman112

norseman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have prosecuted two people after they were warned. I even had a physical altercation with one guy that I ended up dropping because he swung at me when I ask him to leave nicely six times. Anyway always be firm and keep a cool head and stand your ground. Use your smart phone for voice recording and or video. Be fair but don't hesitate to prosecute. I don't have any problems now. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would add. If you are patrolling and find you need to kick people off. Try to get their real name and even license number. Shows you are serious and makes it easier to track if you find them trespassing again. Can also hand over to the warden if needed.

Maybe have someone local patrol for you. If there are parked cars, place the warning message on them.

Love to hear that you are doing so much to help folks get their stuff back. Class act.

7. Jon.jfdb

Jon.jfdb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Contact you local DNR. Let them do the dirty work

8. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think your Sheriff's Office would be the agency most likely to help with trespassers. Illegal hunting methods or poaching would fall under the Game/Conservation Department umbrella though a Deputy Sheriff could write or arrest on those violations also.