How to Elk/whitetail Hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ryancolter96, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ryancolter96

ryancolter96 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y'all, I'm a college student down in Texas and as many who've experienced college know, money is typically in short supply. However, there is nothing I'd rather be doing than hunting. It's something I have to do and I can't really help it. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on finding a place to deer hunt.

Also, I've always wanted to make a trip up to Colorado for an un-guided elk hunt. How do you do it? I always see videos and shows of people who just go out on some land and elk hunt, but I know there's got to be more to it than just driving there and buying tags.

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yep... a lot more to it then that... first ya need a bow that fits you and practice, practice, practice... then ya need a place to hunt, ether know someone with land, or public land... then ya need to know where those deer/elk are on the land ya plan to hunt... some of that can be done by research and prescouting with google earth or topo maps but ya still need boots on the ground to insure there are critters there (looking for tracks, trails, skat, rubs, ect.) With a student budget and not much to spend, I'd suggest learning closer to home first... visit the shops in your area and get to know some of the local hunters.. many of them will be willing to help ya get started and suggest places to hunt around there (tho don't expect to learn the good spots.. ya have to find those on your own) Then get out and hunt.. when your skills are improved (scouting, tracking, shooting, ect.) then maybe think of a trip out west :)

3. ryancolter96

ryancolter96 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I've actually been hunting since I was real young so I'm relatively experienced with tracking and scouting and shooting. I just don't have land near by owned by family, nor do I have money to get on a lease... I've hunted in Texas and Arkansas for Whitetail all my life (along with duck, dove, hogs, varmints, whatever you can think of in Texas), but I've always wanted to get myself out to Colorado and chase bulls.

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw this thread Friday and forgot about it until now. I can help you with the Colorado hunt, I was actually thinking about posting a tutorial on how to dyi hunt elk in Colorado. I still might some day but the short version is Colorado DNR has a wealth of knowledge online like # of elk per area,migration routes and winter areas. That with the combination with maps of the state,county and federal lands and google earth you can narrow down a spot or 2 then go hunt it.

5. ryancolter96

ryancolter96 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    130Woodman, I highly recommend you do that write up! That would be unbelievably helpful. At least you know you've already got one reader.

6. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second this!

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look for it in a month or 2 after the deer season is over.