How prepared are you for archery season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tree Stand Whacker, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure you are Canadian? When I was up on a fire by Cranberry Portage we were given bug spray by the forestry dept. No bug would come close to you not even gnats hovering around your head. Was kinda funny they gave us wipes to use I asked what are these for they said you will figure it out. During the day you are covered by the spray until you have to crap, the bugs sense that exposed area and attack. You do not want to spray bug spray on your swim suit area after big jim and the twins have been riding in kevlar pants all day. It burns worse than Jakes ass when he puts hot sauce on ice cream.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyway as far as prepared got pics of the trail and plot last night it is turning green, cameras going out tomarrow afternoon. Waiting a little more to put stands up. Just need to get arrows and bow tuned will do that this week.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you are talking about but I can not remember the brand name. If it is what I am thinking, it gives me a terrible rash so i prefer thermacell.

Sota likes this.
  4. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New stand up, shooting lanes cleared out, new single pin sight, new arrows, new nose anchor, new bucks. Doing about everything differently this year. Been shooting more. In the past I just hunted to get out. I am a welder and cut and grind all day. I run a laser that cuts oily steel. I'm going to pay more attention to wind and scent this year. Did not get a buck last year, got busted a by a mature one once. Missed one that snuck in on me. Eight years hunting and I have taken 3 bucks with a bow. Best one was a mature 6.5 year old that scored 118". Just wondering if either of these would score better than 118"? Still have a month before season. Need to move one more stand and practice more. 20200830_145243.jpeg 20200830_153011.jpeg 20200821_163720.jpeg 20200828_051852.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

early in and oldnotdead like this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So late but finally redid floor cover on new blind and got all scrap cleared out. Then renailed a old wood stand and installed coated steel ] brackets over 2x4's to tree. So all braces have nails, brackets with a chain back up. I have two more to fix and five to check. All ready checked ladder stands. Check blinds for bees but need to clean.

early in likes this.
  6. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All that I need to do yet is wash my clothes and get pack loaded and ready. Just shot all my hunting arrows to check nocturnals all worked and arrows flew true with broad heads. Put new heads on and quiver is ready. Going to keep shooting every day to keep skillz tuned and probably check cameracards once more. Excitement level is high!! Let’s go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

alenhard15, early in and oldnotdead like this.
  7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just washed all my hunting clothes with baking soda and air dried them. Shooting lanes are cleared, and my route into my stand is cleared of any sticks/branches for silent entry/exit. I'm ready!! :tu:

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to the farm tomorrow to put two cameras out, plot is up nice I was sent pics. Start formulating a plan.

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bow /arrows/BH's all tuned and ready to go, shooting the heck out of my 3D targets now .. ... going thru the clothes washing process now and Ive got a lot to wash ... the early season stuff is ready, the heavy Predator Fall Gray winter clothes is next, then the socks, gloves, hats, caps and face masks, Rubber boots .... the base layers/insulated layering is ready ..... checking a few more stand locations tomorrow (I have around 40 now) on 2 state properties (I back pack in my LW Alpha/sticks every hunt) .... I'll set the stand/sticks out in the yard in a few weeks to deodorize .... no rush on it, still 1 month to go ...

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Put the cameras out was very happy that the plot and path had plenty of hoof prints. Still have a month or so before I will hunt, I want cooler weather before I hunt. I gave away all my warm season camo.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, the only time I really hunt early season is if my white oaks are dropping acorns. They didn't, so I'll wait for cooler temps. I hate sweating going to my stand.

Sota likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    46 degrees in Burtrum this morning, if that does not get you thinking about hunting you are dead.

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Getting close to crunch time for me, I have all of next week off to chase elk.
    I will get my camo washed this week. Remove all summer camping stuff from the trailer and put in hunting stuff. Pack, pack frame, hanging hooks, backup bow, etc.
    Bow is tuned well and BH's are sighted in. Knives have been touched up. Calls have been inventoried and I have plenty of new reeds for this year. I'm tossing around the idea of buying a climber and sitting on some wallows this year, it is still very dry with no sign of rain. Might be a good plan to sit on water this year. Think I'll do it.

15. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    virginiashadow likes this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    By the end of the weekend I should be close to ready to hunt.

17. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am ready, my son is ready. we been shooting, hanging and checking cams. I have two bucks that would get an arrow. I also got a huge black bear on camera that is not too uncommon but I have only gotten 2 in 1o years hunting here. I don't have a bear tag, I could buy one but I would honestly just rather watch him. I have no use in shooting one. Clothes washed, equipment ready 100%. Just waiting on Oct 3..

virginiashadow likes this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Based on a lot of things I hung my stand 60 yards from the food plot. Sitting on a hub just inside the tree edge sitting on a field of Alfalfa and clover that is about 6-8" tall. I have a great tree with good cover and can get to the stand without leaving scent. Pretty stoked to hunt farm country.

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Food plot will be late season if needed.

20. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    we had a decent first day. I saw a small buck in the AM about 50 yds. Son saw a doe about 100 yds. PM hunt saw a small 8 pt with some great potential at 8 yds made scrape or two and rubbed a tree at 8 yds..got a great video of it.

cantexian and Sota like this.