How old is too old for bowhunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pastor Scotty, Jan 16, 2015.

1. youngcd12

youngcd12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As many others have said, that's totally off base.

As long as you're healthy and able, age is irrelevant. I'm sure there are plenty of 70+ year olds who are fit enough to pull back a bow and release it. Eating healthy and exercising can go a very long way.

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt regularly with a gent that is 62 and he does quite well with a 60# bow. I'm 53 and shoot 65-66 and have no problem. I have to admit that I do prefer ladder stands over sticks though but do use a climber. Have never considered a crossbow and don't think that I would like to lug one around. I disagree about most people over 55 can't use a compound although we do change as we get older.

3. staywarmguy

staywarmguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 56 and have used a Xbow for a number of years. I haven't noticed any change in my desire to climb up a tree with my climber stand, sit in the cold all day, or still hunt the property. I just make sure I dress for the temperatures. I do run 3 miles every other day and lift weights on the off days. That probably helps but I think hunting is more mental than physical. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll think different...

4. Andy_W7ATR

Andy_W7ATR Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Heading towards 57 and have no intention of stopping! Think young, play young, be young. Your not supposed to go to heaven with a perfect body, its supposed to be all worn out. Your getting a new one when you get there anyway

5. 5 seas

5 seas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like DR. Kroll. However, he should stick to deer. I'm 59 and I hunt about 45 days a year. Lets say 40 of them, from 25 feet up. So his opinion is BS at my end. Here is the difference. Im a retired law enforcement. Not a gym rat, but I stay in shape. Pushups to reward that first and then second cup of coffee. I take my lab for a 1 1/2 mile walk. And I shoot everyday. 10 arrows, 20 arrows, whatever I feel like. I've shot 62 lbs. forever. As for body mass, do those push ups against the end of your wife's new couch. You'll shoot just fine. I lost two friends from heart attacks, while hunting. They were dragging dead deer out of the woods. I wish they had made the call for help. That's the only thing I would change with age. Well, that and I always wear a harness.

6. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My name's Marty and I'm a geezer bow hunter. I have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

I'll be 51 next month. I stared bow hunting when I was 48 - this was my third season. I shoot #55.

hopefully, in 5 more years, nothing will change. there is certainly a greater chance that something might happen with my health that would effect my ability to draw a bow, climb trees, etc, and it is inevitable that age may affect how I hunt... but I don't forsee that happening for many years.

most of us 'older folks' know where he is coming from, but to make blanket definitive statements like that is goofy.

7. Jeeper

Jeeper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 66 and my hunting buddy is 73. We have been bowhunting for 40 years and still set up tree stands. Both of us shoot compound bows, although I have to admit I have dropped my draw weight down to 55# (this is necessary for late season when the weather is damn cold). With modern compounds (I shoot Mathews bows), the stored energy is so great today that I don't feel it is necessary to pull 60#, especially here in southeastern Ontario where the average deer shot is under 20 yards and a bear shot is closer to 15 yards.

Richard Zewe likes this.
  8. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    as long as you can breathe, walk and draw, you're good. I don't look forward to the day when I can't hunt. like it's said, "bowhunt or die" !

9. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I so disagree! There is no age limit if you can legally and humanely take down a deer with archery tackle. I'm 28 years old and I know people in their late 50 ' s that are in better shape than me. Ted Nugent is knocking on the door of 70 and he's a better shot than me. I will continue to shoot as heavy draw weight as I can as I get older. Whether That's 70 lbs or 40lbs. And I wouldn't rule out x-bows either.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work in the fitness center at a medical school and run into the "just too old for that" mentality from doctors all the time. But then, we also have a woman in her seventies who is a member and works out for a couple of hours every day. I would bet money on her pulling back a 55# bow. Some doctors need to shut up about being "too old" and start talking about simply not putting in the effort to take care of yourself when you are young. Baring an accident that creates a debilitating injury, I plan on pulling back a bow until they cover me in dirt. Only then is a person "too old" for something.

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.

11. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Questions

1. Do you agree? No

2. If you disagree, why? IMHO 55 is not that old. "Old" depends on the individual. Everyone knows people who are old at a young age and those that are young at a more mature age.

3. Would you buy a new bow 50-60lb to stay in the game? Absolutely

4. If you are past 56 have tactics changed, X-cross, ground blinds ect? Only 40 years old

12. Berdo

Berdo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    James Kroll is a firearm and crossbow guy. So it doesn't surprise me that he would make a statement like that and I bet it was more of a plug for Ten Point than anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad is 78, and I hope he can bowhunt till the day he dies. I have to say though that I don't think older guys belong up in treestands, except maybe ladder stands. They just do not have the balance and strength it takes to climb and be up there safely. I set up some killer ground spots, and encourage dad to stay down! I just cannot feel comfortable with him up in a tree.

14. TheViking

TheViking Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree if you take care of yourself you should be able to enjoy bow hunting well into your 70's easily.

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    69 next month... pulling 42#'s and enjoying [not] every minute of it. My left shoulder is in pain after shooting about 5 arrows... so I limit myself to shooting 2 during practice - but I do practice (and I can hit the target consistently out to 30 yards)! Looking forward to getting another archery turkey this spring too.

I hunt from the ground, a ladder stand and a climber. More so the ground and climber. And... I'll be hunting 'til the day the Good Lord calls me home!!!!

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My neighbor will be 80. He still bow hunts, though recently had to go with a cross bow.

My Grandfather (in law) - will be 75 this year - still hunts with a compound. He has a cross bow but complains about the thing more than he actually uses it.

There is no age limit on ANYTHING when it comes to your hobbies. If you love it, you are going to try and continue doing it as long as you can.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How old is too old?

Dead

Thread OVER.

18. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I am planning a Utah DIY elk hunt with my Dad who is 63 and turkey hunting this spring with my Mom who is 62. Last year was Mom's first year bowhunting and she is having a great time.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck I ride dual sports with a guy in his 70's. I hope to be riding and shooting a bow for at least another 30 years (I am 43 now).

20. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`ll be 46 this summer. I will have had my 2nd shoulder surgery by next season(March 19) actually, and I will say this. I will be bow hunting until The Good Lord Above says its my time to stop!! I already told my wife when I`m dead to throw my bows in the fire with me when I`m creamated!!!!!! I love it, always have, always will!