How often do you talk hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 14, 2012.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone seems to know I'm a bow hunter so I get asked allot of questions pertaining to hunting. I don't blow people off, I give honest answers. Yes, I talk hunting pretty much 365 days a year. It can be about whitetails, bear, elk, shooting a traditional bow, etc.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Outside of the hunting season, very little. When bowhunting is brought up, its usually a discussion about properties (maintaining or gaining permission).

Fly fishing is a whole different story. Since there is no off season it gets discussed quite a bit.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Quite a bit, but less and less all the time.

4. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A perfect example.......an acquaintance of mine recently wrote a book about the 30+ mature bucks he and his father have killed on public land in the Adirondacks. I read the book cover to cover and I'll try to learn everything I can from that guy, simply because I know he is a wealth of info.[/QUOTE]

love hunting the Adirondacks big woods your lucky to catch a glimpse of a deer there. Learn alot from the Salerno brothers through seminars and books. Will be there opening day rifle and early black bear. Where abouts do you hunt up there?

5. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only talk bowhunting with about four people that I dont see very often. I am not a bs'er, I'd rather not listen to that. When I run into random people and hunting is brought up the length of the conversation is usually determined in the first couple sentences. Most dont last long though. I will talk hunting for the simple reason to talk hunting, but when guys start telling me all these crazy stories or are the biggest one-upper's I've seen I end the conversation quickly.

Other than that, during the week my fiance gets annoyed with me everyday with all my hunting talk and strategies I plan to employ, haha. She is a great listener. I got to talk to someone everyday though, and she is very use to it now.

6. Hoytultrasport

Hoytultrasport Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I normally only talk about bow hunting to my dad or wife other than that i dont talk much at all. To many people think they know everything about nothing and i gets old

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anymore, not really a whole lot.
    If/when it comes up I usually just don't add anything or quickly brush it off with vague answers. Unless I sense the person I am talking to is pretty hardcore and talking about some good adventures, then sometimes the flood gates can open.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Other then with my boss at work, hardly not at all unless im talking to myself. If i bring it up around my wife and daughter all i here is OMG shutup :cry:. I basically have to watch any and all hunting shows when they are not around. My father is a waterfowl hunter and only rifle hunts deer when waterfowl isnt in.

9. Celtic Viking

Celtic Viking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky in the fact that 4 of my closest friends are hunters and 3 of my uncles are too, so I get to talk hunting/bowhunting quite a bit actually. At work though it's a different story, I might get asked from time to time about something, but for the most part conversations revolve around the weather, politics and sports as in the Eagles/Flyers/Phillies and 76ers.

10. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work with 6 people that hunt and fish. So every break it comes up!

11. Gene

Gene Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a moron but am an addict. Live,sleep,eat and love hunting especially whitetail. If I get into a conversation with someone who knows what they are talking about would love to chat all day. I love to talk to tree buffers about their feelings about how cruel and unethical they think hunting is.

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find myself asking people if they hunt just so I can talk about it:)

13. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It comes up when I am asked about how I supply the meat for our household, along with raising broilers, other animals and buying animals at 4H auctions and so on. Other than that I don't talk about it much except when explaining things to my wife and daughter or talking to my one buddy that also hunts.

14. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much every day.

Even if it's via texting my buddies about where we're thinking of hanging sets, or where we need to get a camera. It generally comes up every day.

15. jknierim

jknierim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At least a couple times a week. My brother(rknierim) is kinda a bow hunting junkie. He tells me all the time how many days till season opens. lol

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I talk bowhunting a lot. Mostly like the other guys say with other bowhunters. It comes up everyday when people see my truck and all the decals or when people ask you what you did or what you are doing the weekend. I am almost always doing something related to bowhunting in my free time. people pretty much know if you want to me to be part of something, you better plan it before hunting season. :tu:

17. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't talk about it as much as I listen to other people.... Seems to be more people want to talk ( Morons you spoke of ) but rarely show interest in what you have to say... Just want to spew their BS. So I just don't give them anything.. I talk to only a handful of friends and family about bowhunting.

18. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Being from/in a big city, most of my friends/family do not hunt. I rarely talk about it, unless asked. I wish I were in a position to talk about hunting more often, but only with those who have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of the "this is how it's done" BS, either.

19. papaw

papaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I always like to listen to the "old timers" talk about deer hunting. I have been doing that ever since I was a kid and I found out that keeping my mouth shut and my ears open I could learn a whole lot from them.

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Other then a few on here... I talk about it with the wife and kids. I will talk to landowners that I have permission to hunt on their land but generally steer the conversation to what they are seeing. I am always looking for info.

I don't talk with the locals on what I am seeing here but will listen to them talk. Most are way too loose with their sightings and got to blab about seeing big buck. You got to sort through the bull but every once and a while will pick up on a good buck to hunt. It is amazing all the monster bucks they are seeing but once you figure out what GOOD, BIG and MONSTER means to them... you can decipher it a lot easier. You just need to ask the right questions. :p

Tim