How often do you talk hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 14, 2012.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was curious how often you guys talk bowhunting in your everyday lives...?

Truth be told, I rarely talk whitetails (other than on here or with friends from bh.com) with anyone other than my a buddy of mine and my brother. My brother and I don't talk whitetail all that often either.

When others at work or where ever talk whitetail, I just stay out of it for the most part. I get asked quite a bit at work but I kind of just answer my way out of the conversation. It honestly isn't me being a snob or anything but usually it just annoys me listening to the BS nonsense most say. I just let it be.

Anyone you like me? Do you talk hunting at every possibility? Are you one of the morons talking complete BS?

Where do you fall?

2. Bow Hunter Beck

Bow Hunter Beck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting is usually all I really talk about in front of freinds and famly because like you said when you get out of that zone alot of BS comes out and it gets pretty anoying.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends...

It comes up quite a bit throughout the summer with guests checking-in. They'll see the mounts in the Lodge or just ask about deer hunting. My response is dictated by their personalities and the time I have. Some guys are just knuckleheads, and those conversations are short. But others have lasted 45 min or longer. I've even taken a guest with me to go check one of my trail cameras.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ... guess I'm one of those morons :busted:

5. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whenever I'm not talking with a complete knucklehead and hunting comes up!!!

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very rarely unless I'm with my best bud Dan. Dan and I live/breathe it but we both get it and have very similar hunting style preferences, we can talk hunting for hours. Other than him.....not really at all. People at work, acquaintances, neighbors, etc that know I hunt and bring it up.....I talk myself out of the conversation as fast as possible and don't bring it up. They don't get it, and I live in an area that the culture just doesn't "get" hunting. I work in a building with around 200 people, and not one person to my knowledge hunts, so I just don't talk about it. It's funny......after being in PA for 10 years where it's very much a part of the every day culture, in NY it's definitely not a part of the culture.

The guys/family I hunt with up north I don't really talk hunting with either (outside of the day we are actually hunting) because their philosophy is so different than mine on how to hunt deer. I hunt there because I love the camp, the guys/family, and the big woods. We have an absolute blast......I wouldn't change that for anything, but we are worlds apart on how we prefer to hunt.

The only exception to the above I'd say is the rare occasion that I'm around someone that I really think I can learn something from. I know that sounds pretty arrogant, but I really don't have access to a lot of people that specifically try to hunt mature deer, and understand the hows/whys of what mature bucks are doing. Around here, people are generally happy to shoot the first spike horn they see in the guts, hope they find it, and then take 1,000 pictures to show off their hunting prowess. A perfect example.......an acquaintance of mine recently wrote a book about the 30+ mature bucks he and his father have killed on public land in the Adirondacks. I read the book cover to cover and I'll try to learn everything I can from that guy, simply because I know he is a wealth of info.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    usually only talk hunting to my friends that are bowhunters themselves. don't really know about the moron and bs though, because what some might believe as the only way to harvest an animal, i might consider bs and them a moron. at the same time others would probably consider me a moron because of some of my views toward hunting, so guess anyone can have a different viewpoint from you or anyone else. that doesn't necessarily make them a moron.

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems to be a non stop topic with me between close friends. Always discussing tactics, food plots, new stratigies, whatever it takes to buy some time until we can get back into a tree. Pretty much consumes our lives! Working for outdoors stores and in the industry here and there I understand completely about when to shut up and walk away. There is ALOT of BS stories out there and everyone knows best

9. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really only talk hunting with my hunting partner, who is also my neighbor. I work in healthcare which is a female dominated career so my peers at work have no interest in listening to my stories, techniques, etc... I do have one coworker who gun hunts with her spouse, but it is not a topic that we discuss.

My Dad hunts with me (only gun) and my goal is to have him harvest a mature buck prior to him "hanging up his gun". I have about 2 seasons remaining with that goal. Unfortunately, he does not listen to me when I try to explain to him deer movement, patience and deer behavior. Instead he still pulls the trigger on the first deer he sees which is typically a button buck.

I guess my main outlet for discussing deer hunting and bow hunting is on the internet.

10. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work at Mathews so that being said every day ! Even Saturday and Sunday !

11. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only talk about bowhunting to my close friends that are serious about what their doing in the woods. Like many others I kinda sit there and listen to the guys that just spit out a bunch of BS.

12. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I talk whitetails alot. Although I would like to think I am not a moron, I have been called a dumb *** once or twice :)

13. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My favorites are the guys who say that they saw a 12 or 14 pointer running through the woods at 80 yards, or the guys whose tape measure starts at 6" :)

14. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually only talk bowhunting with other bowhunters. I'll talk whitetail any chance I get with guys I know are good sources of information and have the shoulder mounts to prove it. I try to limit my conversations with morons in general, not just regarding whitetails or bowhunting.

15. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not that much in my every day life, mainly just because I don't work with many bow hunters....

16. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I want to talk bowhunting with anyone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about I need to come here.

17. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    The outdoors are my life! I talk hunting and filming everyday. Just ask my girlfriend...lol

18. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are only a few people I talk to regularly. The problem is that if you dont get it you just dont get it. The average person doesnt understand why I spend 160-200 hours in a treestand each fall and that doesnt include staring through a spotting scope for half the summer and shed hunting in the spring and so on and so on. They will never understand the rush of watching a buck dog a hot doe on a cold november morning or stand as still as can be having a staring contest with a ghost buck that appeared out of thin air. While I dont mind trying to share my passion with someone new it normally is just an exercise in futility. That is why places like this are awesome because you can chat with guys that live, breath and think nonstop about this sickness that no one wants to cure.

19. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most people around here do some kind of hunting or were at least brought up around it. Even If they don't hunt they likely shoot as a hobby.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My best friend, most of my family when I see them and a few guys at work. I live in central PA, work for Penn State University and its almost surprising to me how many people here hunt or have spouses or family members that hunt.

Those that know me best know how fanatical I am about it and can carry a good conversation about hunting. So, I guess I end up talking about it quite a bit.