How much wind is too much?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rknierim, Oct 13, 2012.

1. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Little brother and I are planning to hunt a good property tonite and the wind direction will work well for two of our stands. They're calling for 13 to 14 mph wind. When do you guys/gals call it off due to wind speed? Most shots from either of these stands won't be over about 18 to 22 yrds, some closer, so I don't think wind will play too much a factor in that respect. Do you think the wind will affect deer movement?

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I usually can it if it's 20-25 mph, but not always. Depends on the area I'm hunting, the tree I'm sitting in, and what the weather has been and is forecasted to be. Deer have to eat.

3. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ill hunt in almost any conditions...but too much would be 35 plus if I had to put a mph on it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

4. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Out where your located I think you'll be fine in that wind...I live/hunt in massachusetts and if the winds blowing anything above 10-15 I usually don't go out...depends on the area

5. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    13-14 mph is considered calm around here - ha ha :-) I wouldn't give that much worry... I like a good constant wind in the teens if possible - seems like you get less swirling that way....

6. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually cut it off at 20-25. Depends on the woods I am in too. There is a section of woods on the private land I hunt I don't like walking into even when its calm. Tree tops just hanging from the trees. Really old section of woods and just is flat dangerous to be in when its windy. Seems like everytime I walk back what seemed like a healthy tree is on the ground. They just have no root system there for whatever reason. But usually its around that 20-25 range.