How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mathewshooter, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently hunt public land in New York. The area I hunt totals about 16,000 acres and I have taken several nice buck from there including a 161 inch 15 point monster. My brother hunts it with me and he has also taken several nice bucks there.We have been hunting it for about 12 years now and have some pretty good stand locations.Now a friend of mine found another 5,000 acres of public land that he says has the most big buck sign that he's ever seen and he wants me to go check it out with him. I've always been one to say that you can't ever have too many spots but I think I should just stick with hunting my original area. What does everyone else think?

2. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What would it hurt to check it out?

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like IDW said, can't hurt to check it out, but it sounds like you are doing darn good where you are. Alternatives are nice though.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Taking a look would never hurt....doesn't mean you have to actually hunt it (unless it looks awesome and you want to).

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've thought about this a lot. I have a ton of different pieces of land to hunt (not nearly as big as the acres you have), but a lot of options. While I focus mainly on my "honey hole" I often wonder if having too many options to cover and should limit them and focus on fewer/better ones rather than spending time figuring out if the newer ones are worth spending the time. Either way... a good problem to have these days.

6. magicman54494

magicman54494 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have learned over the years that things change. I am always keeping an eye open for new opertunities because you never know! I would go check it out.

7. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It never hurts to scout it out especially if you are so familiar with your original spot.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My personal cut off is 11,350 acres. Anything more is simply too much to handle.