How many of you stand hunters use a ladder stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wisconsin bow hunter, Oct 28, 2013.

1. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I tried a climbing tree stand for the very first time this weekend, and discovered that it isnt for me. I didnt like the climbing up and down part, so I decided to hunt from a blind which was fine, but i didnt really like the lack of vision. So I was thinking about possibly getting a ladder stand and hunting out of that for next year. Anyone have an opinions? What is a good light weight one that has enough room to be comfortable in. And how high would you recommend sitting? Thanks, I'd appreciate any feed back...

2. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear you weren't a fan of the climber. I got a climber ladt year and hated it. This year I am loving it. I hunt out of one of my uncles ladders and its really comfortable and has a lot of room but I hate how it can we so difficulat to move it. I'm sure what brand it is but there are a ton of great options out there. From what I've seen most ladders are about 18', that's really as high as you need to go as long as you have something to break up your silhouette. What kind of climber do you have?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you find the right ladder stand, they are great. If you are like me and on the short side, you may find it difficult to find one that has a foot rest to seat height that is comfortable.....

4. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have three lock on stands and I have 4 ladder stands. I really like my Jumbo Ladder. It has a big base to stand on. Ladders for me are the way to go anymore with my bad knee. I still can use sticks with my lock on stands but like the ladder stands. I also have a climber and like it too.

5. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot many deer out of a ladder stand, anywhere from 15 to 20 foot tall. Just get one that is comfortable, and has a big enough platform to stand and move around if necessary. I also try to put them out a little earlier than my others because I think it is easier for deer to find the stand since the ladder sticks out from the tree.

6. wisconsin bow hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what type it was... it was my son in laws, and he wanted me to make sure that that was what I really wanted before I bought one... I'm glad he had me try it.
    To me it just didnt make me feel very sturdy... not to mention my damned feet kept coming out of the straps, lol...
    As far as moving it, I'm not too worried about that...when I put it up I plan on staying where I put it...and maybe if it's too heavy to move I wont be so apt to 2nd judge myself, lol...

7. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 12 to 14 ladder stands and the latest one I bought is by far the easiest to assemble, put up and by far the most comfortable to hunt out of. It has a swing up rail that allows you to shoot from a sitting position..

At $129 + tax at my local Menards store it is a good buy!

link to the details

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  8. wisconsin bow hunter

Dislikes Received:
    That was one of them that I was looking at... it seemd big enough for me to move around in...

9. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will like it....

10. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You'll like a ladder stand because you'll feel safe in it. You will feel a lot better if you buy a good harness to go with it. No matter what you decide on, do yourself and your family a favor and wear a harness when your up in a tree. There, now I'm done preaching for today!!

11. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 15 ft ladder stand I hunt of regulary and a climber for the same area for when the wind is wrong

12. wisconsin bow hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely wouldnt be with out one... I hear it's not the fall that will kill you...it's that sudden stop at the ground that messes up your whole day...

13. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use a climber at one of the properties. And 2 ladders at the other I prefer ladder as it is easy but it is nice with the climber to be able to find a nice tree and get 30+ ft in the air. All I would say is if you dont need the space do not buy a 2 man one of mine is and it is a pain when you decide to move it by yourself.

14. wisconsin bow hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice...I had thought about getting a 2 man just for the room... but I also dont need the extra weight to carry in... gonna be hard enough walking the 2 miles in as is...

15. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The room is great I bought it to take my daughters but like I said if you dont need it I would pass. Also wait until December now and you can pick them up pretty cheap. Another suggestion would be to go straight to the hardware store and get some plastic or rubber washers as over time the ladder stands get noisy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. cgersty

cgersty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt primarily from ladder stands, I shot my buck Saturday night from one, the only con is that they are difficult to move.

17. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want the room, deff. pick up a 2 man stand. One suggestion on my part is to find one with alot of standing/foot room. I have a cheap $50 stand from Menards which works, but my next one will have more room to stand/turn around. I love my ladder stand and once you get that first deer to walk under you without them noticing you, you'll fall in love too!!!

18. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like em. I have my own land, so I have them set up at various spots and they just stay there. My wife and I literally just walked in the house from putting up a brand new one. LOL

It was this one : Ameristep 15' Steel Two-Man Ladder Stand - Walmart.com

I got it on clearance after hunting season last year for 20% off (it was like $80). I only buy the two man stands anymore. Most aren't really a true two man...more like one man and one small kid. But for just one person, they are nice. Plenty of room for you and your stuff. These aren't the mac daddy ladder's, but I have one that is about 7yrs old and still in great shape. For less than $100 its pretty nice. Another good place to find em is sportsmans guide, but you have to pay shipping.

19. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say if I were to buy another right now I would look for one that has a deep platform and a flip up seat to give me room to stand and move around.

20. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: