Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

How many hours are you good for?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by shed, Mar 26, 2009.

1. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe age, health, determination of course plays a big factor in the amount of hours you are willing to shed hunt assuming you have the time of course... but terrain/condtions also factors in as well.

My question is two fold. 1st- how many hours can you go in a day being on top of your shed hunting game? 2nd, how many days at that pace are you good for before you are just worn out and need to take a day or two off?

I've hunted sheds in very tough ground, ground that will flat out test your limits and can be down right dangerous at times mostly for elk and mule deer sheds, ie Hells Canyon and the Frank Church Wilderness both via Jet boat trips. But for the most part in my LOCAL whitetail areas I am pretty solid for 7-8 hours max these days. If I am finding sheds, the adrenaline kicks in and carrys me past the 8 hour mark.

How about you guys when in a day do you start feeling tired and worn out? How many days in a row can you keep the pace?

2. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You had me at the title...Lost me with the thread...:d

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm finding sheds I can go all day. If I'm not I tend to loose focus in about 4 to 5 hour range. I can only shed hunt all day on weekends so that limits me on the second part of the question.

4. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The awesome days for me are when I can stay out for more than 3 hours, that is usually the limit that I have (more self placed out of concern of getting the wife ticked at me?:confused: I dont know)

I did almost 7 hours the other day, and my hip stiffened up something fierce for the next two days.....

The property I look on (yes for the most part it is one area) only has so many places to look, so back to back days is about all I really like to do, otherwise you cover alot of the same ground.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2-3 hours is about my range.

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Most long days in the spring are 8-9 hours....but I can only do that for 4-5 days straight before my BFA needs a rest.

Our terrain is by no means flat and my right hip usually starts to hurt by the end of the day, but I try to push through it as you never know whats on the next ridge!!!

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can bang it out dark to dark here on the flat land at home fairly easly..

Get me down in the hills for 7-9 hours and I am spent.

8. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can go all day, dark to dark. Although it does help that im just 19 and in pretty good shape. I could roam the woods for weeks on end and not get sick of it. It does help to find shed though! :deer:

9. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually like to shed hunt 6 to 10 hours.Im at full focus for about 4 hours.Im usually good for about 3 days walking the easy IL flat lands before I need a break.

10. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's hilly and I'm getting after it - I usually go about 8-9 hours before I get hungry and my knee starts feeling loose. If I'm at a more leisurely pace (which I never am) - I could go dark-to-dark without issue.

Unfortunately, when I shed hunt, I tend to run through the woods like a maniac. I don't know why, but I'm always in a huge hurry to get somewhere else. It makes no goddamn sense.

11. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on the conditions and what we are walking. 4 hours of ankle deep mud in the fields when it is thrawing out will wipe me out. Good conditons... 7-8 hours and the body is feeling it on a 3 day weekend of tromping. The 3rd day is a toughy to get out of bed but Tyler is persistant... Dad, get up we've got to go!! He is going to kill me off. LOL

I'll drop Tyler off at 8 AM when I have to work and pick him up at 6:30 - 7 PM on his days off from school. He usually is tired but will walk if we have a spot to tromp on the way home and there is daylight left. He has had a few 4 dayers and can't wait till the next outing. Who knows how many days he could go straight.

Tim

12. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing the fortune cookie thing with your responses. (you know, add 'in bed.' to the end of your fortune/sentence)

I've been amused and I realize I need to get out more. Maybe shed hunting.

13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We would be talking minutes not hours if that was the case. After reading Frans response... probably seconds. :whip: 3 days in a row... not happening here. :cry: If it did... it would kill me. :deer:

Tim

14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Old strip mine hills......4 hours

15. Predator19

Predator19 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO.....I'm totally with ya.:d

16. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In mountain country where you are Troy It's got to be a huge workout being everything's slippery, wet, muddy, snowy, you name It. Here In Minnesota It's nothing like that so I have no problems In going dark to dark looking for sheds. Usually when I'm shed hunting I'm usually stump shooting too. I'm not sure I could wear myself out around here, If anything I'd get pissed and quit being I'm not finding any sheds (usually the case).;)

17. bowmanaj

bowmanaj Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not as much as I'd like this year. Less than 10 hours total. To finish up my last quarter at UC I'm taking 21 credit hours right now, so between school, my landscaping job, food plot work, and other work at the farm, I'm crunched for free time.

A lot of you guys are on a sheddin' roll, very impressive. :cool:

18. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At the 4 hour mark I better be finding something or all focus is lost.