Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

How do you view hunting directly over self made water hole?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jackflap, Jul 9, 2024.

1. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Image-1.jpeg Image-1.jpeg Image-1.jpeg Not a right or wrong answer, and I am sure there are a wide range of varying opinions. Regardless of your opinion towards hunting over bait(pro, indifferent, or con) is hunting over a strategically placed small water hole the same as, better, or worse than hunting over a feeder?

I’ve been wanting to do this project for several years and finally did it. I strung and buried over a half mile of 1/2” line and put this tank in an area void of water. I could have put it anywhere in the general area, but I chose to place it exactly 25 yards in a shooting lane of an existing stand set up between a primary bedding area and a primary feeding area (wheat and alfalfa fields).

The 2’x6’ oval tank was also a deliberate and thought out decision and placed so I have a better chance of a broadside shot as opposed to a round tank or larger one.

It is tied to an existing water source and on a timer so water stays fresh and full everyday.

I think it will be quite effective, especially early season.

So am I to be congratulated for enhancing the habitat for all the wildlife in the area or judged poorly for exploiting their need for water in a semi arid and hot area?

‘I could make argument either way, but I am hunting it regardless, lol

Thoughts?

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have put in some water holes and they definitely work for drawing in wildlife. I have a 1.5 acre pond and some creeks on the farm and deer still hit the water holes I have around daily. They definitely help more when water is less available. Everyone does stuff differently, as long as it’s legal in the state you’re in go for it. I have zero shame shooting deer over water whether it’s man made or natural.

cantexian, JeffC, Mod-it and 2 others like this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good lord no.
    You put in a lot of time and effort to make that happen. Tons of wildlife will utilize that water source and benefit from it.
    On rare occasion, one will be taken off of it and put into the freezer for your family to enjoy eating. I'd have absolutely zero guilt about that.
    While I do always feel a little pang of sadness when I first walk up to an animal I've shot, shooting one off a water setup like that would not even be on my radar of feeling guilty about.

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It’s no different than a food plot, IMO… not sure why anyone would have an issue with it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    man made watering holes are a great idea. Good for various wildlife, of course deer included .... hunting these is no different than food plots .... go for it .....

6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only negative I can state is......two wet dogs on any walk for I have serveral.

7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plan to put at least 2 water holes in. Great tactic and beneficial to other critters as well.

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they are great myself. A few years ago I put two out. Not as nice as yours. They worked really well and I surprised at how much they used them. I just put out two of those small plastic totes from Dollar General One at each end of my smallest field. I’d fill they the water tank on the back of my tractor on Monday & Thursday. You did a great job on yours. I got a ton of pictures and seen a lot of them. If it gets dry here again in October I’ll do the same thing.

Hoyt Helix
    Hoyt RX1
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT

9. slecken

slecken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see no issue with it. A lot of work involved.

10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see nothin wrong either. I was thinking about doing something similar, but I was concerned about the water going stagnant. So, the timer is attached to a small pump to run for a certain amount of time? Is the supply from a home or just a pond?

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No different that hunting a small pond or a creek system.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A farmer left a few barrels out by the barns, animals come by on dry days, I may sink a few out there.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn’t have an issue hunting over it.

luckily i been able to improve existing water sources on our properties versus having to make an artificial one. I think I would try to make a water sauce that was self sustaining. If I did maybe drill a well with pump ect

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024