How do you hang your deer?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Mr. Jiggers, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Mr. Jiggers

Mr. Jiggers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the luxury of being able to learn from a hunting mentor like my father whose experience and initiative have made the hunting experience for me priceless.

When my parents built the house they live in now, my father incorporated a game cleaning room into his plans for their garage. Early on, he acquired some racking from a Butcher shop that was going out of business, which he implemented into his design. His cleaning room can house up to 7 deer at one time. It has a double deep well stainless sink, meat grinder, and every possible accessory you could imagine when it comes to cleaning a harvested animal.

We basically have a full blown processing assembly line from the knife to the packaging. Seems to be extremely seamless, but I'm always looking for new ideas, and have been curious to see what other hunter's thoughts are when it comes to what I know as common cleaning methods for harvested game, hence the reason for making this short video.

PLEASE post or describe your hanging & cleaning methods. Any tips or tricks would be great to share. ENJOY the video. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried something new this year based on something I read. It was a little warm yet so I didn't get a good test. I've always hung deer from the horns or from a gambrial through the hocks. I read an article about hanging with the legs relaxed and how the meat is different if the legs are stretched through the rigor mortis process. I used a large butcher hook and hooked my doe through the pelvis so that the legs hung relaxed. Like I said, it was still warm so I didn't let her hang for very long but it is something I am going to try again when it cool enough to let it hang a week and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Mr. Jiggers likes this.
  3. Mr. Jiggers

Mr. Jiggers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's very interesting. In other words, rested meat versus "stretched"... right? It sounds rather logical to me, and you might be onto something. We actually do have one of those big butcher hooks that you mentioned. I may try that sometime.

BigHoss likes this.
  4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hang em through the hock. Too warm to let sit down here to age so just hang and get to work for me. They turn out awesome.