Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

How do I choose “let-off” Percentage?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Cody Thompson, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Cody Thompson

Cody Thompson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a new bowhunter and I am wondering how to choose my “let-off” percentage. What criteria do I use? Thanks in advance!

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it or not I think this is the first time I’ve seen this question asked.

I’m not an expert, but I think it really comes down to personal preference. There are pros and cons to high let off. As I’m sure you know, it lets you stay at full draw a lot longer because you’re holding less weight which is the biggest (only?) advantage.

The biggest negative is that if you’re shooting high let off them your shooting form becomes much more critical. With a 70# bow @ 80% let off you’re only holding 14 pounds at full draw. The low pressure on the bow makes it very easy to torque the bow and make a bad shot. Also, as I learned the hard way last season, when you let down and torque the bow you can actually derail the string. That happened to me letting down on a 10 point and just ruined a good day. :lol:

Most folks go with high let off and really work on their shooting form. Like I said though, it’s really about what you want.

Robbie66 and Cody Thompson like this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One other niche consideration…some states do have limits around let off (e.g. Colorado) for hunting. So, if you plan to hunt with a bow, it’s worth double checking state regs.

4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think any bow I've owned had adjustable let off, they were either 75% 80% or whatever you got.
    I've heard that the new Elites have adjuster let off by 1% increments.
    PJ Reilly had a video about it when he reviewed them. I don't know the right answer but I've seen on the manufacturers websites that when you increase let off you can lose some performance

Tags: