How Did You Meet Your Spouse

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by IowaBowhunter5, Jun 16, 2013.

1. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Blind date. Buddy from work was going to set me up with his sister-in-law. I was suppose to drive to this little town where he lived with maybe 15 - 20 house in it. Was told to find a green house with a bright yellow front light.

Pulled into the little town and found a green house with a bright yellow light. I stopped the car and was just getting out when the door opened and 10 - 15 dogs came running out with a she-man looking, very portly gal on their heels. I am like...WTF !!! I slammed the door and took off.

Found another green house with a bright yellow light with an very old bachelor living in it.

At this point I figured I had been scammed. If it hadn't been so funny I would have been pissed. I was ready to say screw it when I found one more green house with a bright yellow front light. I pull up to it... debating whether to get out. Mike came walking out of the house. I told him they have way too many damn green houses with bright yellow front lights !!!!! He laughed and asked if I met Shelly ( the she-man with all the dogs ). Then he laughed some more while I cussed him out.

It was well worth it though. I met Barb that night and we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this fall.

Tim

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My mother sent me to the local convenience store to get some vinegar. I was standing in line behind a man who bought an ice cream cone. I remarked that it looked good and he said I should get one. I said I didn't have enough money. (Bite your tongue Stephanie.) So he laid a dollar and a nickel on the counter and told the clerk to give me an ice cream cone. (Before we go further, you should know I'm very small. I'm four foot seven and 73 pounds. I look like I'm ten-years old.) So he thought I was just a little girl.

As I left the store to go home, I saw him sitting on a rock behind the store eating his cone and reading the paper. (It's hard to drive while eating an ice cream cone.) I went over to thank him, we started talking, and an hour or so went by. He started to leave and I jumped in Mama's car and actually followed him home. I got out and showed him my drivers license so he would know I wasn't a little kid. We continued to talk. I started hanging out at his house, he taught me to shoot and to hunt. I sort of adopted him as my dad, since I never had one.

I brought my mother over to meet him a couple days later and she approved. (She knew my plan, but went along with the daddy thing.) We hung out together from that August (26th) until February when I told him I wanted to marry him. He agreed and we settled on April 9th. We had never touched until that day. But then I went home and asked my mother if I could move in with him right away and she gave me permission. I got pregnant at the end of February. He's the first and only guy I've ever been intimate with. We didn't think I would get pregnant so soon. But it wasn't an accident.

We have been married for six years now and have two little girls. I love being married to him and being a wife.

3. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you were at a college, you WERE lost! :tu:

4. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My girlfriend was dating a guy I knew. I never really liked the guy(he was a pampas prick) but when I met her she was very cool and my type of person. We had very similar senses of humor and got along great. I never went after her while they were dating then one day I found out they were no longer an item so I looked her up and we've been together ever since. About 15 months now.

5. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I met half way around the world. After being in her country for a couple months, I finally received a 3 day pass and decided to try out my language skills. I travelled by train 150 miles to a city that had no American bases. While walking down the sidewalk trying to read a sign across the street written in Chinese characters, I bumped into her while she was carrying two armfuls of groceries. So, I tell people I swept her off her feet while most say I knocked her on her butt.
    I took her out to dinner afterwards to show that I was sorry for not paying attention and we started dating after that. One time, I don’t remember how, but we got on to the topic of terrible food. I told her that the worse food in the world was hospital food. The next month I was in the military hospital on the other end of the country from her due to middle and inner ear infections. Next thing I knew, she showed up at the hospital with food for me (she remembered). She stayed with family there and brought me three meals a day. A nurse told me if I let her get away, I was a fool.
    When I was healthy enough to stand up without losing balance again, I waited for her to arrive with lunch and then got out of bed and on bended knee proposed. That same nurse had gone over to the PX with cash I gave her to get an engagement ring. My wife said she would marry me if I got her father’s permission.
    On December 21[SUP]st[/SUP], 1979, I travelled by train and then boat to her family’s island. After 4 days of bowing in front of her father, he gave us permission. On the way back to my duty station, I was in a ship accident, two taxi accidents, and a train accident. We were married June 5[SUP]th[/SUP], 1980 and the rest is history.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    15 years old, in the process of being dumped by my girlfriend at the towns fall festival. They were friends, but she didn't like how her friend was treating me. We talked all night and I finally got the courage to ask her for her phone number as they were leaving. I didn't have anything to write on so I just memorized it. I called her a day or so later. We "dated", which generally involved our parents taking us around until she was 16. That's when her parents would allow her to go on an actual date. She's a year younger than me, and we moved in together the day after she graduated high school. Been together ever since. Married for 10 years, been together for almost 20 years.

7. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Met my wife at a bar in Milwaukee. We will be married for 35 years in July.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    eHarmony

I was 25, in a town that I really did not know anyone, and I was tired of running through chicks that had nothing to offer except sex. So one night, me and my roommate at the time were sitting on our back patio, drunk, and talking about chicks, and he kinda talked me into signing up for eHarmony. I was apprehensive at first because I thought only desperate people signed up for online dating, but I was just drunk enough to go with it, so I did. And as you can imagine, 95% of the chicks were trolls or desperate single moms.

But then I "met" my current wife. She was a manager of a high end women's retail store in my hometown. She worked all the time and only worked with older women, so she didn't have much time to go out or meet guys. Like me, a friend had talked her into signing up. She was, by far, the best looking chick I had "met" on eHarmony, and according to her, I was the best looking guy. She has some fantastic stories about creeper guys messaging her.

After about a month of communication through the site, we finally set up a date at a local restaurant in my hometown. We instantly connected through our goofy humor and our love for LOST. We were married 2 years later. And now 5 years later, we have our first child together.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I met my wife for the first time in early 2002 at The Cubby Bear in Chicago (a bar across the street from Wrigley Field for you non-Chicago folks). Through some mutual acquaintances we became friends but were both in relationships at the time. 4 years of e-mails, texting, hanging out in bars later we were both single at the same time and started dating. We'll be married 5 years in September and our little man turns 1 this weekend. My how the time flies.

10. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Met my girlfriend in college at the freshman baseball initiation party. I was a junior and her boyfriend at the time was a freshman. He was busy doing all the initiation stuff so she hung out with me and played beer pong all night. After that night we would say hi if we ran into each other but nothing more.

My senior year I messed my shoulder up pretty bad so I spent a lot of time in the trainers office. She just happened to be one of the student trainers and I just happened to schedule my visits around her schedule. We became friends but she was still dating this guy so I never crossed any lines.

I actually starting hanging out with her roommate who always made her come with to our parties. Shortly after her and her bf broke up. A couple weeks later she came to our party and we stayed up all night just hanging out. My roommates and I had a bad reputation and I was hanging out with her roommate so at first it was just a lot of kidish flirting. She always told me nothing would happen between us because she knew my reputation. After a lot of sweet talking I convinced her to let me take her out and prove I wasnt as bad as everyone said. Four years later we are still going strong.

I'm going to pop the question soon but still trying to get the money together to but her the ring she deserves.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

11. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Tailgating at football game... Friend of my cousin.

12. lvngded1776

lvngded1776 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've played guitar in bands my whole life. My wife was a friend of my singer's fling at the time. We hooked up, they broke up. Fifteen years next August :)

13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually met my wife on match.com. After two failed 3+ year relationships (one of them a broken engagement) I was new to the Albany area and didn't grow up here and I just didn't know a lot of people. I had no problem meeting girls and going out on dates, it's just that none of them were the kind of girls you would want to bring home to meet Mom if you know what I mean.

After those two bad long term relationships I realized that while it was easy for me to find girls to hook up with, I was having a tough time finding someone that had similar long term goals, interests, and values. When the parties were done and I was sober, and I was looking at the next phase of my life.......I finally realized in my mid 20's that I didn't have anything in common with the girls I had been dating once the bars were closed.

My best bud suggested I try it, and as Hooker said I thought it was for losers. Anyhow, I met my wife after a few weeks of talking through emails and texts, and we really clicked. She brought me to meet her entire family during their annual Venison Dinner gtg that they do every year, and it felt like I knew them all for years and realized I fit in with the entire family and culture she was brought up in. Today not only are we happy, but I've made some fantastic friends with her cousins and other extended family. Her one cousin is pretty much my best bud and fishing partner and when I get sick of my wife I go hang out with him. It's hard to believe it's 7 years later, we have been married for 4 years, and we have a newborn at home now too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We were the only two sober ones at a party in college.

15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Blind date.

She was a friend of my co-workers girlfriend.

First time we went out, was to dinner. I remember thinking on my way home "this gal is way out of my league"

She called me a couple of days later, we went out to shoot some pool, and have been inseparable ever since. Next week will be our 11th anniversary.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

16. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I met my wife on a blind date. When it was time for me to go home I asked her for a kiss. OMG... that kiss - for the first time in my life I actually started shaking and it scared me to death. I knew right then she was the 'one'... and I wasn't ready! For two weeks I avoided her... but she called me and asked me to come to a party at her apartment. Party... yeah right. It was just her, another couple and me. I couldn't stop seeing her after that. Six weeks later I asked her to marry me and six months from the day we met... we married. We celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary last March. Oh... and I still like her kisses!!!

17. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In a chat room 15 years ago (is the Internet that old already?) back when such an activity was unheard of and frankly laughed it. We've been married 12 years with 2 beautiful children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    At a party in college, brother and I were playing "Hotel California" on our guitars while I sang with a Mexican accent, like from the Big Lebowski. She couldn't help herself!

19. capttrae

capttrae Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Met my fiancée 2 years ago last month we had a mutual friend that was gettin married in October of that year. We had actually met several year earlier but she didn't remember me, so we started texting while I was at work. I told her I when I was due off, she came down to visit her friend, I went over to her friends house took them to dinner that night, we got to know each other, decided to give it a try to see how it worked out. She got a transfere to a store down here, moved her and her son in w/ her mom for a few months, then last February she sent me a text while I was at work and told me she was movin in my house. What can u say to that other than well ok sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    match.com......I was using it as a tool to get with as many chicks as I could....lol no serious I was!

here's why.......
    3 years after I got home from Iraq and had found my first wife's new boyfriend in my apartment, I finally got over it and decided enough is enough, its time to start dating again and hooking up (so ya a four year dryspell...for REAL) I would meet these women,,,,and sadly enough, use any lie/tactic/act/story to get what I wanted (don't think badly of me....we ALL have done that once or twice) then when I met my now wife, not even 5 minutes into the date she was yelling at me.....LOL because I asked her twice in 2 moinutes the same question....lol well it got my head out of my butt and I realized there was something about her that I was really drawn too. been married for 6 years this October.