How deep to till in lime/fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Indiana Hunter, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am fourtunate enough to have access to a medium sized tractor and roto till that goes behind it. Once the appropriate amount of fertilizer and lime is put down how deep do you make the seed bed?

I feel dumb asking this, but I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Thanks guys

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what you are asking. Fertilizer and LIme can be left to the rain to put in. The seed depends on the type.

3. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the confusion Ben, I am planning on planting Whitetail Institue's chicory plus.

Once the lime and fertilizer is put down do you break up the soil immediately or just let the rain and mother nature desolve it?

After that, with the chicory how deep do you till down to break up the soil for the bed? I know that with that particular seed it just gets broadcast over the top and lightly covered, if at all.

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seed to soil contact is key. I spread my lime before tilling. Then till. Then harrow the dirt to level and insure the fertilizer is spread evenly. Then I plant.

5. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you just break up the soil though. With this tiller I could go down 10 inches if I wanted to. When you till do you go down 2, 3, 4 inches or are you just looking to break up the top of the soil?

Also, do you fertilize when you lime or when you plant?

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you don't need to go down more than 4-6 inches for what you want to plant. I fertilize when i plant.

7. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Ben!!!

8. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i believe chicory is like clover where you don't want it going too deep. so i would spread lime, till 2-4 inches, spread fertilizer u may need urea, then cultipack the soil and seed then run the cultipacker over again.

9. jimR8

jimR8 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    O.K., so say you do a soil test and find you soil pretty acid like (lots of pine trees). I think I know you want to put down lime, but what kind of fertilizer do you put down with the seed.

a 20-20-20? I know it depends on the ph, but do vertain seeds do better with certain fertilizer. For example, Imperial or bio-logic?

10. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10-10-10 does well with most but like i said above chicory needs urea check tecomate.com for rates.

11. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I found UREA cheap at my local ag supply. I just had to bring my own containers (bought some cheap trash cans) and they only charged me for the bulk rate.

12. oldschool61

oldschool61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you send in a soil sample to the Whitetail Institute, they can tell you exactly how much lime and what is the best fertilizer to use. Remember clover produces it's own nitrogen. So you may need fertilizer with a lower 1st number.Such as 3-18-18. Just a thought.
    Guessing on lime and fertilizer is costly...If the ph is not within range, the fertilizer is less effective.