How Declining Numbers of Hunters May Impact Your Hunting Future

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think exactly the opposite of this article. I believe when hunter numbers drop low enough things will have to change. when the peta lovers see starving animals wandering around or smash their brand new car they will become to hate so many animals. overpopulation of animals will become a nuisance and disease will start to spread rapidly among them. when it gets that bad they will be begging us to hunt and kill them. their will always be hunting. hunting has been here since the beginning of time. and there will also be fear mongering hunting corporations to try and keep hunting numbers up so they can make more money. I think the evolution of hunting equipment and hunting season changes are starting to hurt the industry in different ways. I know lots of guys that have hung it up because of some advantages some hunters have compared to others. then some are quitting because they have life get in their way. regardless, this isn't going to ever happen in our life or our kids' life.

Fix likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Second (at least I pray you are correct!)

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can only guess what would happen if they made it illegal to hunt in Wisconsin. Imagine all the money that hunters bring in for the state. That wouldn't exist with making hunting illegal. I just can't see that. Who would pay the wages of wildlife programs, DNR wardens, and all the employees involved? I don't see the state picking up that tab. So jobs would probably be lost and programs shutdown.

tc racing likes this.
  5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately if it came to that management of animal populations would become a matter of the state especially if it became a public safety issue.

Obvious, I know, but hunting is a skillset that has carried us since the beginning of time. Regardless of technology its a skillset we can not afford to lose.

Travisk711 and tc racing like this.
  6. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious to know where the number of hunters statistic comes from. In my area, hunting seems to be more popular than ever. Also there seem to be more shows, podcasts, and youtube channels dedicated to this with a lot of people watching. Right now I am not concerned about the state of hunting in the US, as there seems to be a strong interest and support base.

cantexian and tc racing like this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder this same thing. Perhaps, the assumption that hunting numbers are shrinking is tied directly to the number of licenses sold in the country compared with previous years.

If declining numbers are accurate, I am of the opinion that the loss of accessible land is a far bigger effect on this than any other factor.

Hogs need lovin too likes this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry but that's about the most counter intuitive thing I've read in a long time - it appears you don't interact with liberals and/ or millennial idiots very often. Never underestimate the collective idiocy of people in large groups.

axtell343 likes this.
  9. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    +1 on this, people don't have a habit ceding ground just because they are wrong. If we let them have their way and gave up hunting we would never get it back, no matter the consequences to the economy, or the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    The underlined can be true of conservatives as well- I referred to liberals in this specific topic b/c they are most likely to be anti-hunting as well as anti-common sense.

Hunting is one of the last vestiges of real self sufficiency (freedom) that we still have. Libs can't stand it.

Although there is common ground to be gained with some of them- I've talked to a few vegheads that were open to hunting for meat vs. the cruelty of Corporate Ag.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    you guys say we will lose all the public ground we hunt on but who is the government or state owners going to sell it to? these tracts of land are thousands of acres. no private company or person will ever be able to buy it. in my area the pgc is actually still buying more property from private landowners. the pgc is actually expanding hunting property not shrinking it. I have never heard of the pgc or the government selling off any land in my area because they cant afford to keep it. plus most of the public land in my area is open timber company land and they want these deer dead to save their trees. as long as these timber companies are here we will be in need to go in and hunt the deer on their property.

actually noodle I do stay away from liberals because it's like talking to a wall. no one home. but in my area hunting is so big the vegs and animal lovers know to be quiet. I'm sorry that you that you are getting over run by tree huggers and peta lovers. where I live even if there is no hunting season there will always be hunting season if you get my drift. that's the kind of people I have to deal with here.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The numbers ebb and flow and are also skewed due to the liberal states that have a stupid high population. I just don't believe the numbers. I agree there is no doubt that hunting is under constant threat from the anti's and it's a constant battle to keep the right alive.

A lot figures into that issue, I don't know the answer. I can't imagine having much impact as a hunter above what I already do. I guarantee you that more than 5% of the population here deer hunts or hunts and fish in general. But, you add in the city dwellers in the state and the 5% figure wouldn't surprise me.

I'm almost of the opinion that cities should be illegal. I don't know why but it seems like every time people are confined in a super condensed area they turn totally brain dead. I don't know if it's the disconnect with nature that's inherent in city life or what but it's unfortunate that the very people that are so passionate about "loving nature" are the very one's that are threatening the continued management of it. Stupid.

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where I live in Wisconsin is very rural. A lot of people own large tracts of land. If they want to hunt, they're going to hunt. The only way they won't hunt is if guns are confiscated. That would be a mess. There would still be hunting with archery style equipment. Enforcement of No Hunting would be extremely difficult.

tc racing and Marauder like this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    TC-
    You have to understand that you live in a very unique place… Deer hunting might as well be a state holiday for you guys.
    Unfortunately even in the Midwest there's a pretty loud minority that does a very good job of lobbying and PR. These people have already normalized eco-terror front groups like the ASPCA and Humane Society. Without a strong organized body of hunters to hold the line our way of life is gone within a generation.

15. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    TC brings up a good point. If a way that hunting was made illegal, what would happen to the public lands? Who would purchase them? A lot of the land up by me in northern Wisconsin isn't all that valuable to companies. The majority is swamp/marsh. There is timber to be had, but once that's gone, what will the companies do with the land? I mean if the land was extremely valuable, I'm sure the government would have already taken it.

tc racing likes this.
  16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The older I get the more I agree with this. Little Rock is 220K and it feels too big to me. My brother lives in DFW, no way I will ever live in a place like that. Too many people equals too much stupid.

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Cities are concentration camps for the mind and plantations for the soul.

18. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming they'd plant pines in neat little rows for the paper industry. It's a long term investment but that's what they'll do with the land. And if hunting is still legal, the owners would lease it to hunting clubs. This is the model of the modern day South. I'm in a hunt club on land owned by a big timber corp.

19. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I could see that. Some areas have had that happen by us where the paper mills bought a bunch of property, logged it, then sold it.

20. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    haha. the first day of rifle season is a holiday in my county. kids all get school off for it! well I guess Illinois is messed up. heck they gave us Obama!