How common is a 300 score with BH equipment?

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by MGH_PA, Feb 25, 2009.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I've shot about 12 rounds of Vegas, I've noticed I seem to be plateauing already at around 290-293 with about a 9-10X average. There's been mention by a few guys over on AT that claim to have shot 300 games (both vegas and 5 spot) with a pure hunter setup. For those with tournament experience, what's the likelihood of someone shooting a perfect round with hunter equipment (12" and under stab, pins, no v-bars or offset weights, etc)? I would like to make it my goal, but I honestly don't see how it's possible:confused:

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very possible. Last year at our largest local tournament a local shot a 450 in bowhunter class (45 arrows). If I remember correctly, in last years league Buckeye wasn't far away, I think he shot several high 290 games. Once he gets his game face on for this years league, I'd expect to see more of the same.

Buckeye did shoot several 300's on the 5 spot face as well, that's a lot easier IMHO. I've shot a few myself. I actually shot a 298 on the 5 spot face one time from 35 yards while practicing for 3D a few years ago.

3. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, Barry Sones of Sone's Archery whom I used to shoot with and compete against at Gander, for years now has shot Ganders Dot shooting. Just this year he shot his first 299. Now what makes that significant is that he's never shot under 300 since he started that league.

That's 6 300 rounds per year for years minus this years first 299. He only uses a hunter setup.

We never shot anything else but our hunting setups when we competed either indoor or outdoor and 3D. Minus my lighter/fatter arrows, I still do and I really do when I shoot my ACC's.

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Is this on the 5 spot face or the vegas 3 spot face?

5. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Something to think about.

This years BHFS winner in Vegas didn't shoot 3 perfect 300 rounds and there is never anyone who cleans the whole shoot. It's REALLY tough to do on a Vegas face and there are Pro's who shoot BHFS in Vegas.

A 300 on 5 spot with bowhunter equipment is MUCH easier. It's still tough, but no where near as tough as the Vegas face. I could shoot a 300 round with a Bowhunter setup on a 5 spot face and have before. As far as Vegas goes, I'm still chasing a 300 with an Open setup. I haven't scored a Vegas round in 6mos though :argue:

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, well then...back to practicing :D

7. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, the more I think about it, I believe this is a 5 spot, easier done than Vegas but still damn good to never throw an errant arrow til this year. I've beat him before but he's really on his game. I personally haven't shot a 5 spot league in years, it's just something I care do do anymore. I will say however, indoor spot shooting will improve one's 3D skills. If one can hit where one aims, it's all about judging distance. :d

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have a relative of his in class. Does he live in Muncy, or somewhere else?

Anyways, 5 spot or 3-spot, I don't care. A 300 with hunting equipment is SHOOTING. I can't imagine that.

Here's a bit of a side question. Do you guys believe some people are just going to be better shots, while others may never reach that 300 game no matter how much effort is put in? I'm setting that 300 as my goal, but cleaning 10 ends seems nearly impossible the way I shoot.

9. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    There is a BIG difference between a 300 on a vegas face and a 300 on a 5 spot face. I'd bet you could shoot a 300 on the 5 spot today within a few games of trying. The white on a 5 spot face is 2x larger than the 10 ring on a vegas face. There is no comparison with the difficulty of the two. If you can keep 60 arrows in the yellow on a vegas target (not the 10, but the 9 ring) then you can shoot a 300 on the 5 spot face.

With that said, when it comes to Vegas, I do not believe every person has the ability to do it. Maybe physically, but not mentally. Many people are not willing to give up casually flinging arrows, you won't get there that way (at least 99.9999% of people won't). You need to focus on the process every time to make it happen and it takes a lot of discipline, and also enough repetition to build the perfect shot into muscle memory so that you can just look at the middle and forget about the execution, that part should just take care of itself.

I also believe that of the people that do get there, some have to work MUCH harder for it than others. I'm one of those people. I have a few clean vegas games under my belt, but they only happen when I'm really on my game and when I'm working my butt off for them. Maybe someday they will get easier, I don't know.........I've only been shooting spots for 4 years now and I'm still getting better. I've got buddies that don't touch the bow for 6+ months though, and on the first night of league locally, they shoot a perfect game......it almost makes me sick. :hater:

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's simply crazy. Things like that make me believe some people do just simply have the natural ability. I'm what I would considered a pretty athletic person, and have always been competitive, but shooting is a whole new ball game. It's certainly a humbling experience, but it's certainly fun trying to get better.

11. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a 300 on the 5 spot face is fairly easy.

Shooting a 295+, let alone 300 on the vegas face is no joke and is solid shooting.

I struggle much more on the 3 spot face than I do 5 spot.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it's tough. I just can't seem to better my scores. I'm leveling at that 291-293 mark. Although, yesterday I was ONE shot away from a 294, and dropped it:bash: I'll take it, though. Even if this is all the better I am, it's better than I thought I would be.

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    290's is bad ass shooting on the Vegas face.... That is easy 300 territory on the Nfaa 5 spot face. As long ass you can keep that pace for 60 shots.