How can you tell??

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by selfbros, Aug 16, 2011.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings all, this is my 1st forum; however, I’ve been reading up on many throughout the year. I hunt on 60 acres in the Shoal Creek bottoms east of STL, MO, Last year being the first time hunting it. This property is a thick mess of trees and bushes in the middle of fields and flood ground. The problem I had last year was the deer go everywhere as this ground is mostly flat. I placed 5 cameras up last year I have pics of the same deer in different locations every other day. So this year I decided to plant some kill plots at different known funnels. These funnels are about 100 yards from these fields. I wasn’t able to plant anything this spring, due to the crazy floods of 2011 in IL. I wasn’t able to plant anything until mid July. (I know this isn’t the time to plant, but I was eager to get these deer into rhythm, prior to the beginning of bow season.) I started by spraying round up and killing off all vegetation in my small chosen areas; next, I went back down and discovered that one area was still too muddy to till up. So I bought a bag of “Throw and Grow” and through it out over the semi muddy ground.

My question is how do you tell if the goodies are growing or the weeds are starting back up? I can’t tell the difference. It looks as if Clover is growing, it still too small to tell.
    IMAG0124.jpg
    These pics are from a few weeks ago.
    IMAG0125.jpg
    below is this plot after a month passed.
    8042011 front.jpg

In my 2nd kill plot I was able to till up the ground and here I planted loose leaf lettuce, spinach, and turnips (end of July) then it rained over an inch. This time, l am pretty sure the actual goods are growing.
    IMAG0128.jpg
    I'll try and stop by this week to get some better pictures of both plots.

here is my journey on my main kill plot with a tiller and rake.
    7192011 planting.jpg
    a week passed.
    7262011 check.jpg
    and another week.
    08032011 check.jpg
    and so on.
    8092011 check.jpg
    a doe and Fawn checking things out.
    doe N.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    And yes It was 118 degrees the day I used a walk behind tiller to work the ground; in addittion, it sucked, but I'm glad I got it done. I lost a few unwanted pounds in the process.

3. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Well my plot is dead. After all that hard work this is what I found today while visiting my plot.

Luckily I brought a bag of radishes and re planted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That suck man! Hope your luck turns for the better. There might still be time to get some sort of fall plot in.