How can we get more views?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by SeriouslyLethal.TV, Nov 2, 2015.

1. SeriouslyLethal.TV

SeriouslyLethal.TV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, we are two college kids pursuing a career in the outdoors and have been posting good quality videos regularly. We want to get more subscribers/views and even though we have just begone, we want to stick out from the rest and grow fast. Hod do we do that? I'm going to insert a video but if you could please watch more than one to really get a good idea of who we are and what we are about that would be great. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it looks like you guys do a decent job to be starting out. The blonde dude would be more inviting to the viewer if he looked into the camera and not off screen. That's the only thing I can pic out to suggest to change. That said, I'm not used to being on camera or hosting any type of video so that's all I can offer.

As a viewer, I imagine just experience and watching yourselves a lot will improve you as much as anything. You probably like to see most of the same things in a show that anyone else does. I'd say just watch yourselves a lot and try to improve yourselves in your presence, on screen personas and the fluidity in which you speak on camera. Personally I like to see footage of almost anything as opposed to too much conversation from the hosts that gets a little draggy. As far as I'm concerned, all I care to hear from the hosts are vital details and sometimes explanations as to the current mindset that set up the hunt and details of the property that influenced the decision to hunt that spot and expectations for the hunt.

3. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed the videos and know how tough it is to film yourself hunting just from the very little bit I have done myself. Editing is a whole different animal on top of that. Keep doing what you love and you're bound to improve. Off to a good start.

Some constructive criticism. If you really want the production quality of the show to improve, I would suggest taking turns being camera men and filming each other vs. self-filming. One guy can concentrate on running the camera and the other guy can concentrate on hunting. I think your footage would improve dramatically. Also, it allows you to zoom in and always have your deer in the center of the frame.

Another thing I would suggest is letting the scenery speak for itself rather than always needing to do a minute or so video interview. You can edit in the date to establish time/date etc and I know you guys did that a bit, but frankly probably too much talking. Roll some B footage of the wind blowing the leaves, the sun shining through the trees, birds, squirrels etc. Establish the scene through short edited clips of your surroundings. Roll some footage of preparing for the hunt, walking to the stand, calling in the stand etc. Long continuous takes generally get repetitious, so again, maybe mix in some stand footage between clips of deer. Again, this is a lot easier with a cameraman vs self filmed, but you could also have a GoPro shooting continuously on the hunter to get some of that footage as well.

I really enjoy the production quality of a show vs. just footage of shooting deer/seeing deer. Watch other shows for ideas. Heartland Bowhunter is probably one of my favorite shows because of this and a great example to watch to get better. Hats off to you for having a passion and wanting to pursue that passion. You're off to a great start!

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My advise:

Do what you love for the enjoyment of it, not because you want to be famous or make money. Share that love with others, and doors will open. Above all, be yourself.