How about a garden thread?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by oldnotdead, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have put everything out, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and planted my squash, zucchini and cucumbers. I already had pole beans, peas, beets, radish and lettuce out that has kicked into high gear. C'mon May. I should have tomatoes by mid June.

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We are still having snow and nights in the 20's.

3. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got a break in the rain and looks like frost chances are hopefully gone for the most part so got some plants in the ground. A little earlier than usual but I had the time and the garden was ready so got it done IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1307.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

oldnotdead and Okiebob like this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice setup!

5. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. All built from materials I demoed from job sites at work. Old decks and such. Only had to pay for the topsoil to fill the boxes.
    I’ve been saving material to actually frame a roof system and completely wire it in.Squirrels and the damn neighborhood cats have been digging around in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

oldnotdead and Okiebob like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well the garden is coming along nicely. I'm always amazed what I can pack into such a small space here in the city. Should have a meal of beans, squash and peas this weekend. 20200528_185749.jpg 20200528_185655.jpg 20200528_185630.jpg 20200528_185557.jpg 20200528_184251.jpg 20200528_183509.jpg

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    For crying out loud, I'm just planting now...lol..thanks to storms I'm planting in mud. Though packing a great humus I've been cooking. So far there are 40 tomato , peas are up, 16 eggplant, two fences of pole beans, 16 red cabbage,10 yellow bell and 6 cubanelle peppers. Many more to go, with banana and hot peppers as well. So much more to go but the back is a bit of an issue. All greens will need to be a fall thing. With some extra fall brassica.
    Here's another storm. Looks like I'll need to mix up a batch of hydroxide and baking soda for fungal prevention.
    I need 3 days of no rain to put out my borax and honey ant killer.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    90+ degrees today ,many breaks from garden . More fencing tweaked and moved in ,sprayed for flea beetles had one tomato go from ants or cut worm. Plenty more to replace it. This is only an 8th of my garden this year. She is packed full with most all things growing up. Cukes and acorn went on this a.m.. pole beans are up. Then I need to till and fence an area for new jalapeño peppers. I have repurposed every fence section ,gates and chain link and cattle panel we had from the cow,goats,pigs the kids raised for 4H. Lots of money in all that. This is my prison garden. I dare those @$%%!@,rabbits, wood chucks,Robins and deer to break in. Robins love one or two but not multiple fencing. Peas are spotty so cabbages are in with them until fall replant bUT need to mulch . All perimeter sections have 2×4 in welded wire fastened to them and log sections a long bottom will be installed. The winter squashes and pumpkin will grow along out side of fencing. This also help deter critters. They don't like the "hairs" on vines and leaves.

20200609_120609.jpg 20200609_120553.jpg 20200609_120522.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    DeadeyeDick likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    OMG way hotter today than yesterday. Heat advisory still in effect. With high winds and extreme storms due. I'm trying to cool down from tilling ,raking and laying out weed barrier for the hot peppers. Wanted them in later but will hold off until winds pass. I can't believe the amount of water I'm downing. Just moving and sweat rolls off me. Will get the fence panels prepped and pound in the stakes. The hot pepper plants were destroyed , should say devoured last year.
    Oh the equal parts honey/ maple syrup with borax...just destroyed tiny black, big blk, red ants many died before leaving the plastic lid baits. I put anchor rocks in to help keep them from getting stuck and dying before taking it back to the colony. Tiny ants are dumb, big blk ants pretty smart and the big reds are so,so...lol
    After last year There will be no mercy shown to these PITA. Raccoon made the mistake of dragging off and digging out one of my blue berry potted plants in the front lawn. He couldn't dig out the 22. I plant enough crap on the property these things can eat. Bite the hand that feeds ya and that hand will end you!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So much nicer yesterday and today. I got most of the new " prison " section done and 12 jalapeno peppers in 12 more to go today and finish the tweaks to the fencing. This is taking so long because I'm dismantling the old hog pen to make these individual planting areas. I could have just put up the rolled wire fence but I'm all about repurposing things.
    I planted another row of cukes yesterday and today the greens ,chard, collards and more lettuce.carrots and bush beans will go in. I may put in a small fenced off area of corn for a late corn harvest.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Sweat shirt weather today nice , but wow getting cold fast. You please pray no frost. Today I planted 24 broccoli plants, kale, collard, swisschard, and basil seeds. Watered everything and the cukes are popping up . Some of the summer squash as well. Peppers have flower buds and the red cabbage and tomatoes have grown quite a bit. Peas are now happy with the cooler weatber. New fruit trees are budding out .

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We had a few super late Frost's this year. After first week of May. Latest frost since the 1870s. Lots of gardens got completely killed out. Mine was looking pretty rough for a while but back on track. Tomatoes peppers corn and squash are looking good. But I'm probably 2 weeks behind because of that late frost.

Last night the damn neighborhood rabbits chewed through the plastic mesh around one of my raised beds and nipped some of my snap peas at the base. Killed 2 vines. I put up metal mesh this afternoon and told the wife if I see a rabbit in the yard he's getting plugged with the bow and we'll have it for dinner.

oldnotdead likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Seriuosly I laugh when I hear people say they garden for the relaxation...reallyy?!! Lol

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Farmer came up late last night and spayed all of his winter wheat. I'm thinking to avoid fungus issues with the weather changes and fertilizer. 36 this a.m. 35 down at camp so much for global warming here. It will teach me not to complain about the heat!

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    The plants where looking unhappy this a.m. . We have no water at the garden so until I get the tank filled it's the gallon brigade. I water each individual plant deeply. I then do my bug control spray plants seven ground. 56 gallons of water I hauled.

16. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang that's rough. Almost 450 pounds of water toted.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yep back and knees are singing tonighf!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    BTW, Husband had the company pressure washer in back of truck. Asked if I would help get it out with him before I took last load of water over. He got busy in house and I decided to unhook it while he took care of things. Well I was walking to the house with it in tow when he came out. He just shook his head and laughed. Ive always been a tad strong. Still am just get sore faster.

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Dang I think I'm working in reverse! I was out in that beating sun for hours and doesn't seem like I got anything done. Had to dig a new carrot patch. Which means deep shovel digs and removing rocks and stones . Got it done raked, watered , seeded, and mulched. I have to say getting a bit dry out there. Got the fruit trees watered again. Dang one of my producing chestnuts was hit overnight by caterpillars. Now need to go spray. Dirty little @#*%¢&!

20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Still at it up to 30 buckets of compost hauled in and planted another 20 brassica plants. To be honest i have know idea what the replanting after white fly kill wasnt marked well.. More pole beans planted.