Hot Shot Vapor - 3 or 4 Finger?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jeremy/PA, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking in to possibly getting my first hand held release. I was able to check out a HS Vapor yesterday at the shop.

How do you make the decision of what finger model to get? The one yesterday was a four finger and it seemed like if I wanted to drop the pinky behind it I could. Anyone use it like this?

What are the pros/cons of 3 vs 4 finger? Thanks!

2. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the 3-finger release. Personal opinion, but I don't really need my pinky doing anything.

tree_ghost and kgtech like this.
  3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got the 4 finger release and I like it. I've tried 3 finger releases before and I feel a lot more comfortable having all 4 fingers on the release, but that's just a personal preference.

4. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Sounds like it's gonna come down to personal preference. I'd like to see the 3 finger if I could.

I was thinking maybe something like more fingers on the release might cause more torque or something..

5. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this is true.
    if you can also try out 2 finger

tree_ghost likes this.
  6. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To me "ideal" would be a 4 finger that has a legitimate comfortable place to drop the pinky off at anchor.

That fourth finger helps on the draw, but for me and read others with the same problem, that pinky can slide you over into commanding that thumb trigger like an index. If you're going to thumb to get you away from an itchy index finger may want to consider that. Look into those that have a comfortable place to drop that pinky off. Some have an indention in the back that allows for a comfortable place to move your pinky to the back side. Kinda get the best of both that way.

Everyone doesn't have that problem though. For instance I have no trouble with an index release getting jumpy on the trigger, but can fall into that trap on a thumb.

There are no absolutes and unfortunately it can be an expensive process of trial and error. I'm left handed and shoot right. My right arm is stronger but I'm way more coordinated on the left. The firing engine with a handheld gives me issues right handed.

If you have a club near you or an active local 3D it's a WONDERFUL resource. Archers are some of the nicest people and more than willing to let you sample their release. Maybe not their bows so much cause you could explode it but a release is fairly safe to them as long as you shoot your own bow. LOL!

Jeremy/PA likes this.
  7. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the 4, but its all personal preference.
    It felt better in my hand.

There is no better way than just shoot each of them, a shop should give you a couple shots with then if youre a serious buyer

8. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to shot the 4 finger, but they didn't have the 3.

Probably going to make my way in tonight and pick it up.

9. ppkaprince98

ppkaprince98 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer 3 finger because i pull through the shot to fire it. So really to me it depends on how fire the release. 4 fingers is to cumbersome imo, i feel less contact on the release the better. For spots i prefer two fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk