Hornets in your stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by selfbros, Sep 17, 2019.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good grief,
    As a few of you know, i had a nasty fall last October and ended my deer season and chances of being an Olympic runner. Fast forward 11 months and I'm finally able to get to the woods to pull down my expensive hang on that I left in the tree all this time. None on my friends of family will climb 20' in the air to get it. Well i climbed up and removed my safety line. drop it to the ground and moved over to the climbing sticks (with my linemen belt of coarse). as soon as I loosen the 1st strap to my stand i took notice of all these hornets climbing out of my stand from little holes. needless to say it's going to stay up a little longer and i'll retrieve it another day. good news was I didn't get stung and my hunting career will go on, but maybe not this year. I'm still not 100% recovered, but I've been trying to go for jogs again. after about a mile, it feels like i'm running bare foot on broken glass. I destroyed my heel bone. I'm thinking about sitting this year out, but I may go if i have time in November when it's really good out.

I bought a new house this spring and had a horrible time moving with my foot pain. up and down stairs all day long sucked, but i pulled through and got us into our forever home.
    I can just shoot deer and turkey off my deck or front porch.
    Neighbors won't mind me taking out the turkeys, because they attack shiny cars in driveways and chase kids down.

BB1, Cannon06, JGD and 2 others like this.
  2. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
  3. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    my foot. [​IMG]

4. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    after final surgery [​IMG]

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A ground blind might be an option. Hate to see you miss hunting season. Take care.
    Noticed the part about killer turkeys. Your fish & game people might be willing to relocate them. Just ask them to leave enough for you. Thanksgiving is coming up.

selfbros likes this.
  6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In 2014, I shattered my calcaneus, talus, and cracked the nevicular in my right ankle. It didn’t fragment, so surgery wasn’t needed. That’s looks worse than mine was. It’s better and I can run. Can’t squat at the gym though. Range of motion is gone. Still swells up after about 5 miles of hiking.
    Damn nice house though!

7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    selfbros likes this.
  8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Self bros. You still in eville area? I could get that stand down for you if you need. I really don’t mind helping a brother out. You could blindfold me on the way out lol. Glad to here you’re at least moving around. The house is gorgeous. Offer stands

9. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Man, the Hornets are the real issue. it's hard to spray them 2o' up in the air. I'll let you know if I can get out again.

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I knew i messed something up. when the ER doctor told me i literally destroyed the worst bone in the human body (Calcaneus) and i had a long recovery if they could even save my foot. I was a little taken back. i mean its broken not missing right. but he explained that that bone was like a hard boiled egg. if it gets infected they have to amputate. Lucky that didn't happen to me, or you.