Horizontal rubs

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Fix, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Fix

Fix Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about trying this up here in NY. I've watched a bunch of stuff and all the Ted Miller stuff. What's everyones thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never tried it, but I am looking for a good spot to put one. I've never thought about it until I saw the Ted Miller videos. He recommends using Scotch pines, so I'd like to get as close to his set up as possible.

3. Fix

Fix Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was hoping for little more help guys...

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think there are a couple of key factors that make it work out for him. One being the type of branch, and two, location. I haven’t tried it bc I’m not sure where to wrangle up a scots pine limb. It seems he mainly uses them where bucks are already traveling and it just gets them to stop for a pic/vid or a kill shot.

5. Drew Price

Drew Price Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on trying it. I'm going to put it up where I have found a natural scrape line with rubs that pop up during the rut as well. This scrape/rub line has been a hot spot for the last few years. The trees are small pine/conifer trees. I am going to take one down, then wire it up directly behind one of the scrapes to hopefully get some good footage. I'll keep you guys posted. Ran into a delay as my new camera was stolen so onceIi grab a new one, Ill put the horizontal rub up.

6. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that I learned is do not put them too close to a food source. I think they do much better near buck bedding or a travel corridor. I would avoid putting it out too early. I think sometime in middle or early October is best. Try and secure the horizontal limb so that it has a little bit of movement. Also, make sure that it extends beyond your upright posts that you are securing the horizontal section to. The bucks seem to like the extended branch a little more. I also try and put a camera facing right down the direction of the horizontal section (essentially perpendicular to it).

Fix likes this.
  7. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am with you on trying them out this year fix! I have had good luck with mock scrapes and I think I have a good area for a cedar rubbing post! I think it'll work!

Fix likes this.