Honovi Hunters - Team 4

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by NebBowhunter, Aug 18, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will not answer the last question. Elk hunt!!!!! Where at, bucket list trip for me...never been!

2. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone got some good prospects on cam ? I don't run any cams as I don't have any way of getting in and out with being disruptive . My youngest boy has been trying to get me to start my annual "siting in the pickup , snapping pics from a distance" I'd imagine that we will be out in the next week or so to have a look at what all is around .

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Posted some above....nothing MASSIVE but solid.

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang I type slow ... see some pics now :tu:

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Also guys to help remind you to stay active (crucial) go to top of page at the top of first post click Thread Tools>subscribe and then answer how often you want notified and how...I usually do daily or instant. Helps remind me to check back in more.

6. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We will be in southern Colorado. It has definitaly been on my bucket list and when the offer came up I couldnt say no. Only 13 more days until I leave for that.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    jealous!!! Keep us posted here bud!

8. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Nothing wrong with them . We have a few massive around but I can't seem to skip a good solid buck :)

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I suspect with the little growth time they had the one may be a 140, the other two probably the 130 category....but I'm terrible at that.

10. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is one buck that has potential.
    Ryan #3 241.jpg Ryan #3 242.jpg

11. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Good looking bucks guys
    Here is my Number one for the second year in a row. First pic is him last year second is him again this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Number 2 is this guy, again first pic last year second this year
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those are my two main focus on our lease. we have a few 3.5 year olds that I will probably end up passing due to both of these other two being 4.5 possibly 5.5. I will also be dipping into some public land again this year. Last year I watched these two bucks all the way until season was over so they should be around still
    [​IMG]
    These ones are actually from last night on a differnt peice of public land also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My goal is to get one off our lease and a fairly decent buck off of one of these public land spots.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
  13. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    I will definitaly keep you guys posted as much as I can on here. I belive me and Paul will be adding updates and stories onto one of the threads we have going already on here

14. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I'm not the best at judging either . I usually end up shooting something in the 130-145 range but I do it on a first come first serve basis .

I used to hold out for a monster , 2 in particular , on dads 20acre patch of paradise . I'd had close encounters with both over a three year period but never got them closer than 50 yards .
    As the next season was approaching , I drove past dads 20 on a 4 lane HWY and seen 4 Highway patrol and a couple conservation agents at an accident scene . I knew it wasn't going to be good .... it'd take a good buck to draw that kind of crowd . One of the agents and patrolmen showed up at our store later and informed me that I had just lost a 200" and a 180" in one accident .

I took it as a sign ... I go out , have fun , and shoot whatever excites me at the moment .

Did have an 8.5 year old buck reappear on that property last year and if I can catch the right wind , I'll sure give him a try .

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man....any buck over 6 for me is worth way more than any inches.....that story is crazy!!!!

16. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that would suck, in one accident I would take that as a slap in the face

17. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Yeah , I should of taught them not to play in the highway . Really though nothing anyone can do about something like that . Just decided that I wasn't going to invest that kind of time in just a couple of bucks again and I haven't regretted that decision .

If the patrolman or agent hadn't known me or I hadn't driven by there , I could have sat there all season hunting bucks that couldn't show up .

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I often wonder how much I have and will do this in the future...makes me like you not wait usually. 2012 was different I wanted one buck and nearly got him...last year I took the first one that made me reach for my bow instinctively.

19. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have that same scare of our lease butting up to the highway. Its all about what makes you happy on what you pull the trigger on. Agreed its always good to know what happens to a deer so your not wasting time chasing a dead deer.

20. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in guys!

For those of you that don't already know, this year is my first hunting in the Midwest. I've spent the last 20+ years hunting all over the Northeast, but never been exposed to the farm country and big bucks that IL has.

I've got several very good bucks in the 135-150 range on the property I'm hunting this year and a few on adjoining properties that go even bigger. I've also got 16 full days scheduled to hunt this year so I'm hopeful I can make it happen!