Homemade tree sling/seat/drag

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Rancid Crabtree, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While at the WI Deer and Turkey Expo, I came across the guy selling the sit drag hunting seat. It looked like exactly the sort of portable seat I was looking for but because I'm the anti consumer and would rather make things my self, I did just that. For an earlier project, I had purchased 300 yards of Automotive seat belt material that is rated for 3,500 Lbs tensile. (so it should hold up my considerable rear end) For the seat portion I used heavy black canvas.

I sewed the parts together on a 1950's vintage Singer slant line that I have used for other projects. The thread is used for upholstery. It thick and strong. Wrapped around each hand, I am unable to break it. I used more stitching that I probably needed but it made for a strong joint. If your looking for a light weight portable seat, this may be just the product for you.

You can see how the sling seat is used in the videos from the sit drag site. It really is a novel idea.

http://www.sitdrag.com/Videos.html

Some images of the process I used in making my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made 3 of them and gifted one to a friend. I hope to hear that he used it to take a deer.

2. miterreader

miterreader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is how I built a Tipi for use on camping trips. I don't have pictures of the process of cutting, peeling and smoothing the poles. My two Son's and I harvested the 25 foot pines in a small stand in the middle of a cedar swamp. The pines were growing so thick that they only had branched near the tip. They all grew very straight and tall as they had to compete for the sun light. I think thinning them out did the remaining trees a favor. At least I hope so. Here are the poles right after peeling as I get ready to transport them from the family farm back to my place.