Homemade Targets

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by TwoBucks, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished making a target out of carpet,works surprisingly well.All I did was get a old roll of carpet and cut it into pieces ''10'' by ''19'' then I stacked it all together and put a piece of plywood on the top and the botom then I got a rachet strap and straped it down tight.Works awsome but is a little on the heavy side.

2. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Old rain tarps or pallet bags stuffed into a burlap bag works great. Sew shut and tie in corner loops with 550 paracord. I build a collapsible frame out of 4" PVC.

3. White Wolf

White Wolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how big this is but you see the 5 spot targets as reference, I know its over my head. I made this out of scrap layered foam I bought from Archery Targets - Home. Ralph Harris the owner is who I worked with. I bought a load of the layered foam they call elastafoam that they use for building range targets. I bought enough to fill a trailer and my pickup for like $300, enough I made three of these targets. I used treated lumber 4x4 to build the frame and all thread rod to use as a compression to squeeze the layered foam down tights. I use this to shoot out beyond 100 yards because its so darn big. I made this target about 8 years ago and its had thousands of rounds in it between by son and I and it barely looks used because the arrows slip between the layers. Only thing I do to protect the foam from sun dry rot is through the tarp over which takes the abuse form the sun. I usually have to replace the tarp once a year. I suppose you could get real fancy and build a better enclosure. I thought about it but never did, the tarp works for me. I run a tie down ratchet strap around the tarp to hold it on. I would say I got may $150 in total cost per target and its lasted me 8 years and I see no reason why it won't last more than double that many again. I built one of these out of the foam I got from Ralph for myself, my brother and a friend.

20140528_190720.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. BlacktailBowHunter

BlacktailBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, I will have to try these

5. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    uploadfromtaptalk1402615421868.jpg
    Made out of 2x6 and a tarp stuffed with old clothes and such. Then got some of the waterproof target faces.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

6. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DIY Range Target Skins $35 plus mailing will get the target skins that are 3'x3' and the instructions to build. Comes with a lifetime guarantee. 2013-04-29 12.44.32 - Copy.jpg 2013-04-29 12.43.06.jpg

7. optimizedbowtech360

optimizedbowtech360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i found supper cheap bag target covers on ebay and used old clothing works great and it was under $10

8. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished one last night I used a big box and stuck one of my old targets in it then I filled the empty space with other pieces of foam. I spray painted all sides but one I painted with Chalkboard paint, you can get the paint at any store like "farm and fleet or walmart" that way I can draw anything on there that I want to shoot and when you are done with design all you do I wipe it off.

9. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Made one a couple years ago and is sitting at my buddy's moms house. Build it for long range shooting. I had a couple 2x6 laying around. 2x8 would work better. Made my box 4' by 4' put chicken wire. On front and back then put black felt on front and back. Got old tee shirts from family sharing. Family sharing throw out clothes that are to warn out that they receive. You can ask them to save them for you. Think I gave them about $15 for all the shirts I needed. Tightly roll them up and place them in the bottom. Its going to be heavy when its all done. You'll have to add some tee shirts as the material settles with time.

10. Southern_Heli_m

Southern_Heli_m Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have gone as far as using dog food bags stuffed with old clothes from a yard sale. Works really good at distances beyond 30 yards.

11. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a 2X6 pine board made a box with it stapled canvas to the front and back and then stuffed it with clothes the local goodwill store was throwing out. Target is 4'X5' stops arrows and they pull out with just 2 fingers.

12. drycreek

drycreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a couple target bags from thirdhandman. Gonna stuff 'em with used shrink wrap and will report back. Heard it works well.

13. Chris Neer

Chris Neer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Use a big burlap sack (double woven works best) and jam pack it with plastic grocery bags... Lasts forever..and it's practically free

14. gilnockie

gilnockie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Some years ago I made a target about four feet high and three feet wide from old telephone books. They were held in a frame comprising four pieces of timber, two at the top and two at the bottom, and four lengths of threaded steel rod which joined the pairs of timber pieces. The timber comprised the top of the frame and the threaded steel rods formed the size of the frame. The frame was used to compress the telephone books so as to limit the penetration of arrows.

There was a piece of timber at the front and the rear of of the top of the pile of books and a piece of timber at the front and the rear of the bottom of the pile.

The two pieces of timber at the front were joined by two pieces of 0.5 inch threaded steel rod with nuts and washers to apply pressure. Similarly, the two pieces at the rear of the were joined by two pieces of steel rod.

The whole arrangement was assembled on the ground. The spine of each book was laid in the frame on the ground with the pages pointing upwards, spines of the books is the rear of the target when it is erected and the edges of the pages are the front of the target.

When the frame was filled with the books, the threaded rods were tightened so that the frame and the books became one solid mass. The two sections of the frame do not have to be joined. They can be two separate structures. The pressure on the mass of telephone books prevents the two parts of the frame from moving. The target was lifted into a vertical position and it was fixed to a fence.

The idea of this target is that you do not try to shoot through a telephone book, rather you want the arrows to pass BETWEEN the pages which are under considerable compressive force.

A Gold Tip carbon arrow from a 50# Stinger compound bow penetrated about three inches at 12 yards. If you wish, you can increase the pressure on the rear section of the frame relative to the front of the frame. This increases the resistance as the arrow penetrates the frame.

If the target is left out of doors it should be mounted off the ground and covered with a waterproof cover.

You can use the same principle to make a smaller target if required. Layers of cardboard from cardboard cartons or old magazines or newspapers can be used instead of telephone books.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  15. Titan77

Titan77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used a box packed full of old clothes (pair of jeans/old shirts) and wrapped the entire box in duct tape....works great never had a pass through

16. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very smart idea... Should've taken advantage of those when I worked at a lumber yard! We use to just throw them away!

17. jdm_77_10

jdm_77_10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a large 3"x3" box packed with plastic wrap of "shrink wrap". I works really well. Plus when one side wears out all you have to do is rotate it and you have a whole new target. Hope this helps.
    Jeremy

18. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have built many types of targets.
    Here are the ones I use the most and once a year we reface them.
    40 yards.jpg 100_4101.jpg

Hutch

19. five

five Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use 4 layers of doormat rugs made of abaca fibers (1" thick) then sandwiched with another 4 layers of rubber carpet mats. Backboard could be 1/4" plywood. Stands could be constructed to elevate the target to chest level.

20. five

five Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The door mat size is 18" x 30" x 1" making it a total of 4" thickness of the 4 layers. The floor puzzle mat is 36" x 36" x 1" cut to accommodate the door mat size. The total thickness of my target is 8" and quite good for my 50 lb. mission riot.