Homemade Camera Stand

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by choppernut, Jul 18, 2014.

1. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I got to thinking the other day about my game camera out in the woods. The pictures were taken at crooked angels and I wasn't happy with how they were turning out. I like to try to make as much as I can when I need something as well as the "Dutch" coming out in me and if you ask my wife, I'm quite the "el cheapo"!! I decided to make my own "stic-n-pic" because I needed something to do. I build this for about $5 because I got the rebar for free so all I needed was the hardware!! I had 5 rods of rebar so these instructions will be building 3 of them and you'll see why as I get through them. Below is the materials list and instructions so enjoy!!!

Materials List

5 - rods of rebar
    3 - 1/4x20 x 2" Eye Bolts
    6 - 1/4x20 x 2 1/2" Eye Bolts
    6 - 1/4x20 wing nuts
    9 - 1/4 large washers

So I first wanted to measure out my stand and get the right dimensions as to how I want this to work. I took a piece of cardboard and drew out my stand with the dimensions on it.
    IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2096.jpg

I then figured out how I need to cut up my 5 rods to make 3 stands. The dimensions are as follows:
    Stick 1: 50" piece, 10" piece, 10" piece
    Stick 2 and 3: 50" piece, 6" piece, 6" piece, 6" piece, 2" extra
    Stick 4: 4 - 17.5" pieces
    Stick 5: 10" piece, 18" piece, 18" piece, 24" extra

I then took to the saw and started cutting the pieces.
    IMG_2098.jpg
    After they were cut I went to the grinder and took all the extra around the ends off.
    IMG_2100.jpg

Here are the 3 stands cut out with the 3 extra pieces on the bottom of the picture.
    IMG_2101.jpg

I took a torch and bent the 18" & 17.5" pieces to the same angle that I had drew on the cardboard. I actually cut out the angled piece on the cardboard and then bent my extra 24" piece for a template for the rest of the pieces.
    IMG_2102.jpg

Once the pieces were all bent, I laid them out to make sure that was the right angle that I wanted.
    IMG_2103.jpg

Once I was happy with the way they looked, I welded them up. I welded the first angled piece to my 50" piece with the 6" support on the floor. Once those were welded up, I put them in a table vise and welded up the remaining angled piece, 6" piece, and 10" piece.
    IMG_2104.jpg

I then welded an eye bolt on top for the camera mount.
    IMG_2105.jpg

Once the eye bolt was welded on, I installed the rest of the hardware and then rattle canned it with flat black paint. You can see in the picture where I put a washer inbetween every eye bolt as well as the 2 wing nuts.
    IMG_2107.jpg IMG_2108.jpg

And WALAH!!!! The camera is out in the woods!!!!
    IMG_2116.jpg IMG_2117.jpg

Here are a few more pictuers that may help to see how I put my pieces together. I also gound down the bottom of the stand to a point to help stick it in the ground.
    IMG_2112.jpg IMG_2113.jpg IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2115.jpg

The only bummer to this stand is that it doesnt have a vertical adjustment. With a little liquid encouragement on the weekend, I could conjure up something!!! I hope you all enjoy this thread!!

Happy Hunting!!

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job... I made some very similar a couple months ago, only instead of the eye bolts I machined a few small brackets to attach the cams that will also allow me vertical height adjustment.

3. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Mine were pretty simple get some aluminum stock or plate and make a piece about 4"x1.5"x3/8 or somewhere in there. Drill and tap a hole on the one side for the rebar to pass through and one for a thumb screw to tighten to the rebar. Then one more threaded hole for a thumb screw to mount the cam. I even made some hinged ones that are longer and allow angle compensation :)

4. tacklebox

Dislikes Received: