Home to roost

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Jun 19, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What fun I just had. It was getting dark fast as I watched Fox news when I heard the rumbling of thunder and then toms gobbling on the neighbors. I knew they were looking to roost so I lifted the screen for a better look and let loose. We talked a bit , the thunder was getting louder and the woods darker. I decided to shut the screen when I heard the first fly up. Then saw the next two. They had come in and at 70 yards flew up in to the big maples. That was a sight seeing them work to lift themselves in to higher branches. Just enough light caught their backs and wings to high light them. Then after a few wing flaps I heard they'd settled in. I fear for a pretty rough night from the sound of and size of this storm bearing down on us. I dropped a bunch of big trees out back this spring and they have decided they like the ground cover I think. OH boy!!! Ligtening has arrived. Now the rain. It's like playing whack a mole around here with window shutting for rain. Nice now a weather alert on my phone. Flash flooding until 12:30 tonight... Glad I'm on top of the hill

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just watch for the guy with the big boat and lots of animals on it. Someone asked, Why didn't Noah swat those mosquitoes when he had the chance?
    Had some storms move through last night and more later today. Was supposed to take my grandson fishing tomorrow but the river will probably be up and muddy. Oh, well. Next week?

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It's been rough the last 12 hours. I had to drive through part of it today, at one point I was thanking God for road work. Poor guys were replacing a guard rail in a down pour so heavy I couldn't see out the wind shield with wipers running on high. I appreciated having to stop at a lane closure for a few minutes.
    Ps.. He should have swatted those dang blk. Flies as well...lol

4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It's been months since I had a chance to talk turkey. So when the bachelor group of Toms were feeding in the field off our kitchen window I decided to give them a call out. A couple of hundred yards out and on a breezy day I really had to let loose with my natural voice. In unison they all looked like funky chicken decoys heads all red. A few more vocals and they were headed my way...
    It's so much fun and I'll be looking for them this fall.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019