Hog Advice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jordan86, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a wild pig coming in my archery range. Ya not that smart right? So I put a camera up and started throwing some corn out every couple days. He's been coming in every night for a while now, with an occasional night off. I sat for the third time tonight and had him at twenty yards but quartering to. Then at 30 quartering away. I stood slowly, drew, and settled into my anchor. I hit my light (it was late dusk and too dark to see) and he bolted. Never came back. I waited about an hour then slipped outta there. We shoot that range pretty much everyday during the week (it's at work). He doesn't seem too affected by human scent. Any advice on getting a shot on him? Did I not wait long enough to get him settled in? Is the green light stabilizer I got not a good idea? I've seen the feeder lights that come up real slow, but I don't have a feeder out. I just toss some corn out on my way home at night.

Obviously I went from really excited to really disappointed tonight lol. But that's hunting. It was still awesome to finally see him on the hoof. Any advice from you experienced hog hunters out there would be appreciated.

2. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Their sniffer is better than a deers. Could have caught a whiff of you. But more than likely it was the change in light. If you can, just put a light up over where you put out corn and leave it on or put it on a motion sensor so he gets used to it. Or turn your light, on your bow, on and leave it on when hunting. Just keep it aimed where you want to shoot, so he doesn't pick up on the movement.
    If possible stay seated.

3. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a motion sensor light. He came in about two hours later last night and again this morning. I must not have scared him too bad.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Jeepwillys said.

If he's really focused on the food and quartering away the sudden light might not bother him.

If you bury some of the corn to make him focus on working for it it may give you more time.

Where are you hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good point on burying it. He'll be kneeled down and rooting in the hole.

6. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like it. I'll try that next time. I'm hunting right across the river from the Pearl River WMA, on the MS side.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016