HIT Inserts

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grizzly1530, Aug 2, 2016.

1. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got some 5.5 mm fmj's with the hit inserts in them. Do I need to get the BAR 5 adapter for the arrows?

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have found that it depends on the broadhead that you are shooting. I have the Easton axis arrows and used them when i shot NAP Thunderheads but when i shot Rage I dont have too.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should use the BAR or a flanged VPA collar regardless of the head. It's cheap insurance to protect the front of the shaft from a solid impact.

4. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, do you need to use it with broad heads and field points, or just broad heads?

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most people just use them with broadheads, honestly it really doesn't matter so long as you match the field point up so its the same size as the BAR then it's makes for easy removal from bag targets .

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't even know these existed until now. Good thing someone brought it up! :tu:

7. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have tried Easton BARs a few times and could never get my BH to spin true. If anything I would use NAP UBAR (Universal Broadhead Adapter Ring). It fits all shafts and is metal not plastic like the Eastons. FWIW I have used Axis and FMJ for many years and never needed one. Unless your BH uses the arrow shaft to support the opening of the blade (blades prying/pushing on shaft) I would go without.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  8. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting Easton Axis for several years and Beman MFX (both use HIT inserts) before them. Since I shoot good fixed blade BH's, I have never used the BAR system or footing of the shaft and likewise never had an issue with damage to the front of my shafts. One thing I have noticed is that some do not install their HIT inserts properly and need the BAR to avoid an air gap with a fully seated point. Axis will be in my quiver again this fall......without the BAR and ready to put down some more whitetails.