Hinge Cutting in a Floodplain

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kyle6464, Nov 19, 2014.

1. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I live in MN and own some property along the MN river, it floods every year and is usually 8-12 ft underwater when it floods. The property mainly has cottonwood, willow and maple on it and I am looking to hinge cut several areas to create bedding and open up the canopy. I am wondering if the land flooding will have any impact on the hinge cuts I make, for instance when I hinge a tree will it die from being underwater for several weeks or will it continue to grow new chutes like it would on dry land. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kyle

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HUGE hinging advocate...that said, I can't say I've ever done any myself or any of my fellow habitat gurus done hinging in such a severe case of flooding to know without a doubt whether the stump would die or shoot survival would continue.

3. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cut it up high from a boat LOL! Be interesting to hear what others have to say. My thinking is even if it does die off you are still benefiting the area by creating a thicker understory of brush when the water is gone.

4. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd agree with this, I have almost the same situation where I hunt, floods every spring. Where there are trees down and the canopy is opened up, there is a TON of brush growing that the deer love!