High FOC vs Arrow weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cmonsta, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So just to keep learning on this subject one further question.

If two arrows weigh the exact same and one is a higher foc, you say:

The trajectory will be the exact same, correct? My question is will the angle of the arrow be any different?

I do believe a high foc here is going to be pointed more downward while on the same trajectory.

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't answer that definitively but I shoot a high FOC and when bareshaft tuning my arrows I do not have a nick high (point low) flight. So I would assume no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been in the middle of the road but on the heavy side of the middle when it comes to arrow weight. I've changed to the lighter side of the middle now. I've found the extra speed to be more advantageous to me than than the extra weight.

My son draws around 38 pounds and I was looking to build him an arrow that weighs a minimum of 10 grains per pound of draw or around 380 grains. When that was done he had a 400 spine arrow cut to 29.5 inches using a 100 grain tip. According to all the research I'd did on low poundage bows, this should be more than adequate. Towards the heavy end of average.

Then it occured to me. If that arrow is adequate for him, it will only be more adequate if shot from my 60 pound bow.

His "heavyish" arrow is a "lightish" arrow for me. They are the same arrow. Both will get the job done.

In my opinion, trying to build a bone busting arrow is not as important as building an accurate shooting arrow. I haven't seen it myself but I've heard stories of guys dressing their deer and finding rifle slugs embedded in the shoulder. Meaning a heavy arrow may increase your chances on a bad shot but I guarantees nothing.

However your numbers come out, if you are able to shoot with confidence, your chances of success are much greater.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you shoot from a stand, and from the ground, the arrow from the stand will have a more tip down aspect. It will still penetrate the same. Same thing pretty much for a higher FOC, the arrow will hit more tip down, but will still have the same penetration as long as the arrow is flying true.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When we talk about that form of archery, I believe there is quite a bit more involved than adjusting FOC. Lots of folks in that realm of competitive archery shoot super slim arrow to cut down on crosswind issues at the distances they shoot. They're also not attaching a fixed blade head to the front of the arrow. Lots of these archers tune for spine before anything else. If that means lighter points to stiffen spine, or adding weight to the back of the arrow to achieve the correct or desired dynamic spine, they do it.

Then you look at the indoor spot guys. They use logs for arrows, many times the biggest diameter aluminum they can find or the line cutting carbon shafts. I would say that almost every single one of these guys use glue in points of 200gr or more. I know a gentlemen locally here who is a 5 time state champion spot guy who usually shoots high 590's as an average. He's a machine to say the least. I asked him about his arrow setup with the heavy points once. His response? High FOC creates a more consistent flying arrow all other things being equal. Now, its only 20 yards in spots, so the distance is know precisely. We don't have that luxury and I do believe at some point, FOC can be too high to offer any advantage to the average bowhunter and the distances we shoot.

I'll just that say that I do not see any disadvantages to increasing FOC, but I can think of several with lower numbers.