Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

HHA Optimizer Tetra Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought this sight off marketplace and so far like it a lot, however, I’m in the process of sighting it in and I’m a little stumped.

I got dead on at 20 with my setup tape on 0. But - when I backed up to 60, I’m dead on at 23. The problem, is the lowest tape I have is 26.

I’ve heard of high FOC or heavy setups causing difficulties, but I’m shooting a 450 grain arrow with only 15% FOC. Mathews Vertix, 70lbs, 27.5” draw.

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That seems really wonky.
    Your setup should be doing somewhere in the 275 fps to 280 fps range. Well within their yardage tape ranges.
    Having 20 yards on at zero and then 60 yards on at 23 on the sight in tape seems smoking fast, not slow.

I have an older pendulum style OptimizerLite, so perhaps I'm way off base on thinking that seems like a super fast setup.
    @Justin is pretty familiar with HHA sights, I tagged him to get his attention and see what he thinks.

If your setup is outside the range of their sight tapes, then just use a blank tape. Sight in your distances and make your own marks.

Jrob140 likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Something definitely isn't right here. With your setup, you should probably be in the mid-50s on the setup tape. You would need to shoot an extremely fast and flat arrow to need a sight tape in the 20s. We're talking 350 fps or more. With the HHA tapes, the slower your speed and the heavier your arrow, the higher the sight tape number you will need to run.

Off the cuff, I would say you did something wrong during your sight-in process or something is really wonky with your bow setup.

Do you have a Tetra or a Tetra Max? The Tetra Max has a circular wheel that's removable, whereas the Tetra is fixed and has a spoke type of design. I'm wondering if you don't have a Max, and the wheel slipped while you were adjusting it.

Also, is it possible you have a set of setup tapes for a different site? The tapes should have the name of the sight they are for printed at the bottom.

Jrob140 likes this.
  4. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just the Tetra. I shot multiple times at 60 and back at 20 because I was positive I had to be doing something wrong as well.

Long story short; someone commented on another page and told me to remove my setup tape and align my 0 with 20, and 23 with 60 on all the tapes until they matched. Tape 48 aligned pretty well so I stuck it on there and shot/confirmed today.

This is my first HHA single pin so it’s likely I did something wrong I’m just not sure what. I found the instructions on their website AND read them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive owned various HHA's thru thru years and have 2 Tetra's now ... never once have I tried the 20/60 sight in crap ... I use a blank tape, mark my own yds with a fine pen/pencil and THEN peeled it off and matched it to a premarked tape then put that one on, never had any problems doing that... since I dont shoot beyond 50 for practice and very rarely 40 for hunting, usually under 30 .... I have just left my penciled tape on and go over it with a pin... I do 5 yd increments starting at 20yds .... 20/25/30/35 etc. ... I'll do the initial sight in/adjustment at 20 yds and get that correct, then shoot and once I'm on at my distance, mark the blank .... yea, I know guys are into the long range shooting, esp. for TAc, etc. but I cant barely see that far as it is ....:confused: :bigcry:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Jrob140 likes this.
  6. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: