Hey yall!

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Vabowman, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im still kicking around the idea of getting a recurve..I have not shot one in close to 22 yrs! I want to know what is best for me..can I get a bow for me that is relatively cheap under 200$ that will kill a deer with the right arrow and head? I don't think I will hunt with it this year, unless im somehow gifted at shooting, which is not the case. But I would like to begin shooting this summmer and over the winter next yr..what # do I need? I have 26.5" draw, very short. do I want a takedown? wood? fiberglass? I have no idea on this..any help will be nice.

2. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should be able too check Tradgang, Ebay there are deals to be had.

If you plan on doing a lot of air travel then I would say yes.

My suggestion would be fiberglass.

Around 45lb @ your DL and is your draw measured on Trad gear or is that your Compound DL?

If it is your Compound then you will lose atleast 1" going to trad.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Landon, how many more times are you going to post up a thread like this? ;) Kanga gave you good advise, run with It and do It this time.

4. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Recurve: Older Bear Grizzly, excellent bow a true workhorse. Many critters have fallen to these bows. Under $200 all day long on tradgang.com, leatherwall.com etc...

Longbow: I started with a Bear Montana, my first season with a longbow was last year, killed my first buck with it. Great bow, sends an arrow downrange with certain authority, no hand shock and quiet as a church mouse! New: $275-$325, Used: $150 - $250. This bow will put a smile on your face.

Check out tradgang.com classifieds has tons of very good used bows. Great site.

Just do it already will ya, your missing out!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the help. Im still trying to figure out a way I can afford one...I have spent an ass load of $$ getting new land, but I will work some this summer and earn some extra $$...I do not think I will be proficient enough this season, but I hope to be next season to try this in the woods...I have longed for this for about 1 yr now and I just don't know anyone around here that is really into the trad stuff....although I do have one of my students who is a trad only shooter and he has invited me to shoot with him...I will take him up on it this summer..I admire you guys to the fullest, you all know that. I just want to feel the string in my HANDS again for once!.....yes, the 26.5" DL is for my compound....so do I need to look for a 25-25.5" DL? what should I shoot? LB? recurve? Jeff recommended a neat looking LB...what differences will I see between the 2?

6. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started off with Longbow and was seeing results straight away , i been shooting my longbow for about 6weeks . I was gonna go for the Montana , but Joe suggested busting the bank and getting Russ to make me a kanga Bogan :deer: . So i took his advice , best move i made . Longbows are great fun to shoot and IMHO are more Traditional . Go Longbow and get the Montana :cool: .

7. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    VA - As mentioned, if you can find a Montana it's a great bow that I've fallen in love with. I did notice that my arrows weren't penetrating the targets as far as Jeff's were, but there could be several causes for that. One: his draw length is probably a couple inches longer 2: he actually hit the sweet spot, LOL 3: his bow is just plain faster. The way I look at though is people have killed with alot less. I'll take at least one deer with my longbow this year maybe more.

8. BobCo19-65

BobCo19-65 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Look for one of the early to mid 70's model (green with blue stripe). Make sure it does not have limb twists or strees cracks that meet. Limb twist can usually be straightened but if you are looking to spend $200 you should be able to get them without. Stress cracks are pretty normal but make sure they run parallel to the limb and do not meet at any point. Again for $200 you can get something real nice. And it will still be worth the money you spent in the first place if you decide to upgrade at some point. Most of them are around 45#'s which will be perfect for you.

Good luck!

9. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for a Bear Grizzly or Hunter. My advice would be not to get a bow under 58". Anything less becomes more unstable for a new trad shooter to learn on.
    [​IMG]

10. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    the Montana is a sweet looking bow, I like it. One question though, I was told today by a very experienced trad shooter that this bow was great but may be too long for me? Im short, 5'6 to be exact, but is there truth to this?

11. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Landon, I think you will love it, I hadnt shot one in about the same amount of years that you havent. I can not tell you how much fun I have had getting back into it. I swear it made me feel like I was getting into a new sport almost. Now going on my second year officially with the tradbows.. I just so look forward to shooting my bow.. I struggled in the beginning,(still do some) but NOTHING comapared to last year, its just starting to feel real natural now anytime I pick up my bow. Good luck in whatever bow you choose, if you are anything like me its gonna be addicting/challenging but real fulfilling as you progress along.

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Shed, I hope I can find a Montana about a yr or 2 old and get all the stuff I need to get started.. So you guys say that I will likely shoot it at 26" DL and about 50 # ?? This should be plenty to kill a deer next yr correct? What weight arrow are we talking? Total. I just want to make sure that the bow I buy is one I can hunt with later. Im really looking hard to get this done this summer, shooting that is, I doubt I will hunt with it this year, I want to be dead nuts before I take it in the woods. Hey Shed, only 5 more days of school!!! then Im off for 80 days! what about you?

13. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the bow's original draw weight is measured @ 28" you will lose approx. 3lb per inch under the 28" of course this is for LB's Recurves could lose a tad more per inch.

14. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know what i mean Jeff :d :deer: :cool: , the Montana is a little more Traditional though .

15. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'd stick with a 45-50# bow for you to start with. That's more than enough weight even at your draw length to kill deer. Don't over bow yourself. You'll need to work on form most of all to start off with. A heavy bow will frustrate you with inaccuracy.

16. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Im all ears on this stuff guys...I will get what you guys recommend when it comes to # and arrows.

17. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I need to go and get my DL measured for a longbow first right? then see what # I need. sounds like a bow that has 55# at 28" will be about 50# at 26"??

18. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right around 50, maybe even a tad under. I'm betting your DL will be In that 25" range when It's said and done.

19. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Landon.

When you get measured only pull the bow back till your index finger is on the little lump above your eye tooth.

This will give you a good solid very repeatable anchor point.:cool:

Edit.

Landon.
    What I said above about the weight lose per inch, also depends on the composition of the limbs, ie what thickness the glass is, what the core material is, what taper rate is used also etc.

I know the bows I build have a +/- of 3lb per inch of draw from 25" to 32".

My limbs consist of .040 glass and .060 action bamboo plus the color lams with a .002" per running inch taper rate.

Some woods will drop/gain more per inch, the same goes for the glass if it is .030 then it will drop more per inch.

20. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    VA me and you are very close to the same height, I'm 5'6" in my tallest heels. Jeff I'd love to come but I'll be at the lake throwing some water on the Jet ski's. But we will def. get together soon, b/c I obviously noticed the same thing.