Help with this 40 acres

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin21, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a little 40 acre track of land, there is a 3-4 acre food plot cut in the middle of it that is planted in cow peas and soy beans. Trouble I’m having is over the past couple years I see very few deer in day light but I have 4-5 good shooters that use this field but mostly at night.

Now the timber you see is very thick but I have done a lot of trimming where I do have stands inside there on main trails just hardly ever see deer, we are mainly hunting food sources.

Attached Files:

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible to put in a few smaller kill plots throughout the property ?

3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s really thick in there, mostly all the clearings we have done with chainsaw other than the big one, I know some hate it but we do have one Corn feeder up that is on the NW corner but usually they don’t hit it hard until it gets cold.

I have thought about renting a dozer for a day and making a couple small ones though.

4. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Sounds like you need to determine where they are bedding and hunt closer to the bedding area as the deer aren't leaving the area early enough to make it to your plot before the sun sets. You'll catch the deer returning to the bedding area after visiting your plot plus catch bucks scent-checking the bedding area during the rut. If the bedding area isn't on your property, you'll need to do some work on that to create one like you did the foodplot.

early in likes this.
  5. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    seems to me the major wooded area is almost landlocked and about 60 acres, I am thinking most deer know when you are around, or are hesitant to come out until after dark because of to much intrusion good luck wait till rut activity

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with isolated food plots and feeders is that deer learn pretty quickly to feed at night. I'd go in there and thin the crap out of the timber and create some bedding area in there, maybe even utilizing one end (or side) of the plot along with timber stand management.

I'd also test the plot and accordingly fertilize the plot well and add in plenty of micro nutrients.