Help with broadhead decision

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by scottldngr, Jul 31, 2017.

1. scottldngr

scottldngr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting a Cabela's Fortitude by Bowtech. 27" draw length and 59# draw weight. I'm using Easton Carbon Raider 340s.
    I have a lot of interest in the Rage Extreme 2 blade broadheads with the 2.3 inch diameter (100 grain), but I am unsure if I have enough kinetic energy to make those effective. I want to be sure the things deploy upon impact like they're supposed to.
    Can anyone offer some advice on this? Is any mechanical going to work effectively with this setup or should I stick with fixed?
    I had been using Muzzy 3 blade on my old bow. I've been looking at newer fixed designs like the OCD Blood Therapy too. But I can't decide if I want to go this route or go mechanical. Basically I just want to know if my setup will allow for mechanical broadheads, specifically the Rage Extreme, to work effectively.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    first, seems like you may be overspined, although I'm not 100% sure w/o checking a chart. Seems to be a short shaft for a 340.
    second, check out a NAP low KE KillZone. Your # is plenty for them. I wouldn't recommend you shooting anything 2"+ under 60# draw, but that's just me. You should be good with most well-known CoC mechs under 2".

3. mummel

mummel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. I've been trolling the forum but once I saw you're shooting a Fortitude I had to sign up! Not to hijack your thread, but I am seriously considering a Fortitude and cannot find any legit reviews/testing on the bow :(

What do you think of the bow? Better than the Influence? Have you done any chronograph testing with say a 450 grain arrow? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with dnoodles. With your current setup would stay away from the larger cut expandables. Will you kill something with yes but penetration may be limited. If your bow shoots the fixed blade heads good I would recommend sticking with them. Just my opinion.

cantexian likes this.
  5. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If youre shooting a 360 grain arrow your KE would be about 59 momentum .463

Id avoid the 2.3 inch head
    When i was shooting a parker blazer years back my ke was 66 and mo .484, i shot magnus stinger buzzcut 4blades.
    I didnt move up to a large mech head until i was getting about 80ke.

If youre worried about penetration and really want a mech head the rage ss is made for lower ke bows

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this would help but I shot a doe 2yrs ago using those heads. My set up was a ChillR set at 60lbs, 29"dl, shooting a 362gr Gt Velocity 400 spine. Shot her at 36yrds. Got a complete pass through. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Tyrail

Tyrail Newb

Dislikes Received:
  9. adkhunter1590

adkhunter1590 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't use the 2.3s at that poundage. Ya it will probably work most of the time, but the risk isn't worth the reward here. You'll kill a deer all the same with a regular 2in rage or even a 3 blade muzzy. But your asking for problems by using a much wider broadhead that was designed around more kinetic energy than your shooting right now.

Personally if I were you, I'd be shooting a good fixed blade. I like the slick tricks, worked very well for me in the past. But there's many other good fixed blades out there that you should look at too. I think a fixed will give you rock solid dependable lethality at your current bow setup.

rick-florida likes this.
  10. BrassMonkey911

BrassMonkey911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My Hoyt PowerMax is set pretty low at 28.5" draw and 54 lbs draw. My finished arrow is 395 gr. 20 yards is 46lbs KE and 60 yards is 40 lbs of KE. I've had the best performance with the QAD Exados

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. mummel

mummel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where is OP!? Any feedback on the Fortitude? Thanks.

13. scottldngr

scottldngr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot it much yet but so far so good. Would not recommend getting it tuned at Cabela's however. They are a joke. Go somewhere else for tuning and setup.
    I'll keep you posted on how I like it.

14. mummel

mummel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks. If you have time for a detailed review I will really appreciate it.

What did cabelas mess up tuning wise?

15. mummel

mummel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Scott any updates? Eagerly awaiting your review. Thanks.