help with arrow, FOC problem?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BigRedOak, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hello everyone, thanks in advance!

I am currently shooting carbon express piledriver 350s with 125 grain field points, and my bow is at about 63 lbs with about a 28.5 inch draw. The arrows appear to fly fine as long as I use field points. When I screw in a 125 grain broad head (I use slick trick), I sometimes get a wobble in the arrow. It is very noticeable when I use a lighted nock, the back end of the arrow not directly behind the tip, but instead is looping in a small circle as the arrow flies. The best analogy I can make is like a football that is in an imperfect or loose spiral.

what can I do to fix this? would it help to go to a heavier arrow? increase F.O.C. with a brass insert?

I bought a fletching jig and I want to make some of my own arrows, so I am considering all options. Thanks.

2. K.Taylor

K.Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have had this problem before with fixed blades,
    I am a female shooting 60lbs, 25 inch draw, and 26 inch arrows. I have been told this is due to my bow not being properly in tune to shoot fixed blades, due to fixed blades "cut" the air. I assumed putting a right helical on my arrows would stop this, which helped, but i have not had my bow tuned so they still spiral to the target.

i may be so different from you that this may not help at all because of my short stroke ha! but i figured I'd pass along what i have been told in case it does help!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Fix likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^that^^^

4. jathomas437

jathomas437 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When your bow is properly tuned, broad heads will fly exactly like a field point. Start with "walk back tuning", also known as "French tuning".

5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    jathomas437, would that be available on Youtube? I'm just getting back into archery and bow hunting. I find this to be interesting.
    K.Taylor, my complements- I'm an old timer struggling to pull 45 lb. with 50% let-off; an old bow. Used to live in central KY. I miss it!

6. jathomas437

jathomas437 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I watched several videos, and this guy explaines it the best.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've experienced that having an off color for a cock vane can sometimes create the illusion of a wobble. I fletch my arrows with all the same color.

Since you don't experience the effect with field points I bet this doesn't apply to you on this particular issue

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. James D Jones

James D Jones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you calculated your current FOC??
    With a fixed blade head I've found that at least a 12% FOC with a Helical Fletch helped my broadhead flight alot when shooting a big fixed blade.
    On my son's set up I have him shooting a 27" arrow with a 400 series Gold Tip Velocity arrow , 125g Magnus buzzcut fletched with 3 right helical Blazer vanes. His FOC is right at 17% and they fly incredibly well and was a breeze to tune

9. DIYArcher

DIYArcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The extra drag from your broadhead is control of the arrow. You'll need to play with your fletching. Adding a helical, increasing vane length and increasing vane height will all give your fletching more drag allowing it to control the arrow flight better. I wouldn't do all of the three though. A small adjustment should do the trick. Personally I'd increase the helical a bit.

#keephammering #nockon

10. jakerite

jakerite Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with DIYArcher. To a point. Helical will help but watch vane height . You will be in the outdoors where you don't know if the wind will blow and from what direction. Too tall a vanes will drift.