Help!!!! what point for bigger fish??

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by bloodcrick, Sep 3, 2009.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Christine, TEmbry or anyone
    I have shot three very large grass carp in the last month and all three have pulled off at one point :mad: The last and biggest being today:( What is a good head to use?? I think from looking at pics, that my current head is a sure shot, with the two barbs and the quick release when turned. My head is not comming loose, but just pulling out even when a full pass through is made. its even happened on several small carp.
    question # 2
    after the shot on bigger fish whats the procedure? Let em run a little giving slack or keep tension the whole time?? The one i shot today was a line ripper :) I only held enough tension with my hand on the string to keep it somewhat tight but when he would run id feed some slack. is this wrong? Help, I need to land one of these big boys before Deer season!! :)
    On a good note i did take three carp today that i did get in.

2. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "crick, sorry to hear about your loss... LOL

When it comes to fishing arrow heads, I'm a big fan of the Muzzy or the Cajun pirana (beefier Muzzy copy) When it comes to soft fish or just want more holding power, look at the Innerloc pro point and the Innerloc two or three prong grapple point. The three prong may be the best holding point I've seen.

When I shoot a big fish like you're into, I try to get tension** on the line ASAP. Then very much like rod and reel fishing keep tension on them until you get them to the boat/shore. You may want to let them run some to tire out, just keep tension on them so that the arrow doesn't tear a bigger hole 'cause then the barbs can pull out.

When I say tension, I mean a few pounds...just enough to control the fish. Definately don't try to stop during one of the first few runs them unless you have to to keep them out of brush or some other stuff.

Good Luck. Christine said that if you want, We'll come down to your big grass carp spot and show you how it's done...LOL (of course this has to be by the 12th...)

3. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Mr Sniper :D Ill definantly check into those points ;) And heed all the info you have given me!! That would be sweet getting lessons from the ole pro's, You two come down sometime, but i cant swing it before the 12th :(

4. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Mr Sniper" I like that!

5. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    I magin :D Demands Respect :D