Help selecting an Elk Unit

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Riverduck11, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been researching for a few months in preparation for a 2020 Elk hunt. I am making headway through all the different units, tags, seasons and what not. I am leaning towards Idaho as I have talked to a few biologists from the area that were very helpful and the OTC tags make things a little bit easier.

Since I have a year to potentially buy preference points, I thought I would reach out here to see if any veterans could point me towards a few units in any state I could research. If one preference point would put me in a significantly better area or one with less pressure, I would consider that worth the money for sure.

I am currently researching Idaho and Wyoming. I am open to Colorado or Montana as well. I could travel farther, but coming from Ohio, I would prefer the shortest drive possible. My main goal is to harvest an elk with my bow, trophy bull is not a priority on this trip.

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a point in WY next year because you will need least one to draw a Gen tag in the future.
    Otherwise, to be quite frank a single point doesnt really get you swat any place in the way of moving into better units.
    Can someone search and find an example someplace ...I am sure I could if I really wanted to. However on the whole it wont matter. Buy points if you can afford to and plan to do more hunts in the future.
    In the mean time then pick a location, general area for OTC units do some research and just go hunt.

3. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said and ‘nuff said.

4. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I have done a lot of searching, just thought I would ask as by time to flip through 80 units in 5 different states, things get a little blurred.

Looking forward to my first mountain trip!

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know here in Utah you need 7 points to get a any bull tag in a general area. Most of the state is spike or cow only on the archery. In the general areas there is some decent bulls. We do have a couple units that will take around 15 or more points but the 6+ year old elk are lot more plentiful. I put in for Wyoming points. I have a good friend I served with that lived there and he said as soon as we get 5 points we will put in. I have a son that lives in Idaho and I will hunt with him this next year also. What ever the case enjoy and have fun.