help please !?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by rarj89, Oct 9, 2014.

1. rarj89

rarj89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so bow season opened on the 27th of September and the land owner who gives me permission every year waited until the last minute this year. I had no chance for scouting. I have a stand up from last year and there seems to be no activity around it at all. Its a 250 acre farm with lots of corn and patches of woods and a creek in the middle. I've been out literally every day except Sundays and all though I see some signs here and there, NOTHING significant it seems. I'm in the woods right now watching a field of corn and an empty field from a tree line. The land owners say there's deer here all the time and I see signs here and there but I'm not seeing any deer?? Any help or advice would be great!

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You dont want to be stomping around a lot this time of year in the woods, you are just educating the deer. Scout the farm as best you can but try to keep the pressure as low as possible. Pinch points, creek bottoms, field corners should be good starting points. Try to determine the current food source and find trails leading into and out of that area.

The deer should still be on the acorns right now so that is another good place to start.

Might be worth leaving the bow at home for a few days and doing some glassing from a distance to see what is going on. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's as good advice as anything.
    I know here in our area the deer are on the acorns.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second foodplot 19. Find the acorn trees the deer favor. You will know because the leaves will be disturbed and their will be lot sof tops and less acorns. Hunting a fields edge when the woods are full of acorns is like rolling the die. Good luck tracking them down and keep cool you will figure it out.

5. rarj89

rarj89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys I'll give this a try for the next couple weeks!

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That might be part of the problem. Like mentioned, take a few of those days off and sit in the truck with binoculars and aerial of the place and do some scouting!

7. ckrazy1

ckrazy1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at wind being issue. another thing to loo at would whats the is going on in the neighboring farms. If I where you and i wasn't seeing activity on the fields i would move to the tree lines or the water source.

8. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year with acorns on the ground they activity the farmer was talking about could slow down. Deer are conserving energy and eating acorns. October lull..