HELP! New Mexico elk hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by yamaha250875, Jul 13, 2011.

1. yamaha250875

yamaha250875 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello I have a choice to hunt New Mexico archery elk hunt. The two units I have to chose from are 13 or 16E where should I go?? I am young and can pack I will take a quad. I am going for the 19-24th hunt. And I want a chance at a big bull

2. Slick Trick

Slick Trick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting 16E on those dates. I hunted this unit once before about 5 years ago and did not score but was around some elk. I only had two days to hunt. I have never hunted u13 but I believe it is the same unit that the ACOMA reservation is in and they are known for trophy bulls. You might look at their website to see what kind of animals are in the area. Good Luck!

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I can't be of any help, but good luck!

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread.

My wife just said she'd like to go to Santa Fe NM for Christmas this year so I'm interested in Elk hunting while I'm out there as well. I think I'll need a guide though.

5. nmhunters

nmhunters Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @ Yamaha.
    16e for sure this year. We haven't had hardly any rain and 13 is known for being dry in good years. Let me know where you are going. I'll be on my hunt in16 e from the 11 to 18. Can give you some places to check out.

6. nmhunters

nmhunters Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @ afflicted.
    Great time to get a tag. We have to use our Elk tags by Dec31 so you can get a tag cheap after Thanksgiving. We guided all NM but I might have some for the Chama area that's just up the road from SF.