Help me with Buck Fever

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by doublehelix8, Oct 28, 2015.

1. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get buck fever when I see antlers.....BAD. I have never shot a buck so the pressure is on to get one. I literally shake like a leaf. I got a huge buck on camera the other day and literally started shaking looking at the photo, crazy I know. What do you guys do to manage that? Any advice. I try to breath but it still comes on strong. Does it go away over the years or am I always going to deal with this?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know, never had that problem. I hope you find a way to deal with it though because that would suck.

Convince yourself it's just a deer like any other, it ain't gonna eat you, the world won't end if you miss or if you kill it nor are you a hero if you kill it. If you kill a buck or if you miss, there will probably always be another...no biggie. Nut up and get it done, plenty of time to get nervous after he's on the ground.

3. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use to have it pretty bad about 2 years ago even on does. Missed a few with both rifle and bow. After talking to some experienced hunters, I was told I always rushed the shot everytime because I didnt take my time to calm down. I killed a buck on sunday, looked at him for about 5 minutes until I could calm down an take the shot. My tip is if you see something take your time and look at the animal until you are calm.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also used to get it on does. I shot a few and it went away to some degree. I am hoping the same thing will happen with some experience on some bucks.

5. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't focus on the rack. This is easier said than done. Also try and kill a doe or two before the hunting gets good. This will help control the adrenaline when a buck steps into range. I've also started practicing shooting when out of breath. I will run a few laps around the house and then shoot one arrow. It helps me to focus on making that one shot count.

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have this bad... Like others have said, it's just another deer. You should only need to see the rack for a second or 2 before you decide you're going to shoot or not.

Now that I'm thinking of it I had it up until last year, but this year anytime I've seen a deer I've been cool as a cucumber.

It will get better with time as well - The more deer you see the less shaky you will be.

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After killing a bunch, it will become second nature. Now I only get shaky when I hear a deer and have not yet determined if its a shooter. Once I know one way or the other, I personally calm down and get it done. Its 150% mental.

8. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still get the fever on any deer when I first see them it'll last for a minute then I get settled and focus on the shot. The longer you watch them and wait on a perfect shot the better it gets. People that see deer every hunt have it better than those that hardly see any at all. When I hunted a lease that I would see one deer once in a blue mood I'd shake like a leaf, then I hunted another lease that I seen deer every hunt I'd shake a little then settle down. Its all on the person I guess but this is what I'd do, just say a simply prayer Lord calm my nerves and breathe, focus and let the arrow fly.

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am a stone cold killer because I've never had that problem. Once I determine I am shooting I quit looking at the animal as a hole. I focus intently on where I am placing the shot. Everything else becomes a blur.

10. dearjhn

dearjhn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I still shake when I see a deer, I hope that feeling never goes away. But what I have been better at is breathing, don't stop breathing. Take aim breath squeeze the trigger, watch the arrow hit the target. Then I start shaking again.:)

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All I can recommend is to try and slow down. As soon as I spotted a deer, I use to quick try to grab my bow or gun and want to get them on target. I never really had buck fever, though the heart starts beating pretty fast. I just try to remember I don't have to rush. I watch the deer for a little while before reaching for my weapon and getting in position to shoot.

If all else fails, drugs. :)

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, reminds me of something I heard in a movie (or somewhere) I think about being in a gunfight, went something like this:
    "When you're in a gunfight the important thing is to keep your cool and take your time, just do it in a hurry".

13. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had it this past Saturday. Husband said I rushed my shot (which is possible, I don't remember shooting the first arrow). So, his advice to me was count antlers to make sure it is legal, then see if you would be proud of it, then focus on your shot and just forget that it had horns.

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You say the pressure is on but it's really not. Like others have said nothing changes in the grand scheme if u hit or miss. Now, imagine being a professional on tv or editor of bowhunting magazine. If they miss on the last day they've got to spin it to make themselves not look bad! (Or quickly book another guided hunt on another fenced ranch.)

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see where remmett70 is coming from. However that wouldn't be my first instinct. My thoughts are to hurry up and then wait. I like Covey's quote as it is applicable to hunting as well. Be ready so when the time comes you can keep your cool.

17. TANGS

TANGS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get together with some friends and have shooting competitions. Put $5 or $10 dollars on it to raise the stakes and add a little pressure. There isn't any way to replicate there actual situation but doing this will at least force you to make a shot under pressure. This helped me quite a bit!

18. OH11

OH11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of the other comments on here as well. I still shake a little bit but mostly after the shot now. For me, it is important to stick to my shot process and keep repeating that step until I need to go to the next step. Example...Add release, set feet, raise bow, draw, anchor, level, push-pull, steady, push-pull... If I do not need to draw yet I just keep repeating "raise bow," sometimes just yelling to myself in my mind. It keeps my mind occupied on other things besides the size of the antlers. I follow this same process on does as well and it helps from rushing the shot too. Hope that helps and good luck!

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have said it before, develop a healthy hatred of bucks. I think back to all the times I sat in the cold freezing waiting to see a buck only to have none show, I try to take that out on every mature buck I see.:mad:

20. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    when i was young i had it BAD!!!!!. and still get it somewhat.
    perdy sure mine stems from having very mis-matched gear (dirt poor) and never could get to be a good shot.
    i've missed quite a few MONSTERS and made a few bad hits also.
    even now with good gear, i STILL am not a great shot over 25 yards.
    yep, i'ts all mental but even after bowhunting for 35+ years, i still struggle somewhat with it. thats why i set up for 10-15 yard shots.
    i don't think its so much the size of the buck but a deep ingrained fear of missing/wounding.