Help me set up a bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by preachnhunt, Dec 31, 2015.

1. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I am new to the forum and am posting because I could use some suggestions. For my birthday in March my wife is going to get me a new bow. I have hunted for 30 plus years and bow hunted for most of those. 3 or 4 years ago I had neck surgery and haven't done any bow hunting since. I have a Mathews bow but want a new one. The only thing I know FOR SURE is I am getting one of the new Halon bows from Mathews. Everything else is debatable. One problem is I visited the site and found a bewildering number of options.

Here's where the help comes in. I am 55 years old and in reasonably good shape. I am very strong for my age in the upper body and can pull 70 pounds without trouble if necessary. I am 5'11". The bow will be used for whitetail almost exclusively and maybe an elk hunt some time, but most likely I will be hunting from tree stands in Ky. with it.

I am only interested in hunting, not archery per se. What brace height, arrows, rest, silencer quiver etc. can you suggest? Obviously I will get it set up at the local Mathews dealer, but would like to go in as prepared as possible. I don't necessarily want the most expensive setup, but money is not the main concern. Everything about this needs to be about HUNTING. BTW I am a decent shot, but not great and will probably not shoot much over 30 yards, if that. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boy you have soooooo many options. I am also a little bit on the "more mature" side and I know that my eyes see things differently than they used to. So when I look at a sight for example, I don't see yellow very well so no yellow sight pins for me. I like a fixed pin sight, many people like a slider sight. My hands are smaller and the Mathews grip doesn't work for me. And so on and so on.
    You really need to get out to your local pro shop and start trying out what is out there today.

My preferences would be a .019, 5 pin AXT titanium or the same thing in an Axcell sight. I like both the QAD and the Smack Down rests. Don't have a preference in stabilizers. I've been very happy with Apex 5 arrow quivers but Tightspot quivers are great too. My go to release is a Carter Quickie.

Mostly I'd be excited to get out there again and start trying all of the great new options that are out there.

3. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks elkguide. I'll especially look at those rests.I want something that makes it near impossible for the arrow to fall off. My eyes also aren't what they used to be so the sights have to be really clear too.

4. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Those two rest are both full containment so great for hunting and not worrying about your arrow.

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might consider a larger peep for more light. there are also eye exercises I'm convinced have helped me avoid glasses at soon to be 65. The one mistake I made was staying with heavier weight bow too long and had no warning, pain, or notice until my muscle tore. unless you were hard over on shooting 70#, for deer at 30 yards a 60# will do as well and will go a long way to save your shoulder. welcome back to bowhunting and enjoy the adventure.

6. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    I've scaled back to 60# and I still kill deer!

7. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same as you sir didn't have any trouble this weekend

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

8. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    I am definitely thinking about it. Being able to pull 70 and doing it smoothly when cold and excited etc. can be two different things. I think having a faster bow may negate much of the poundage difference.

9. davydave86

davydave86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 50 lbs with muzzy broadheads and have had complete pass throughs on 2 whitetails this year. Poundage is overrated. Shot placement is what's important

10. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the halon 6 and I love it. For a sight if you're only gonna be shooting out to that distances, you don't need anything outrageously expensive. Fuse makes decent fixed pin sights, but spot hogg are very durable. For a stabilizer I would go with a bee stinger or a k-tech. And for a rest, I have a QAD pro hunter I believe its called and I haven't had any problems with it

11. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll give you an NAP Apache for 40 bucks TYD

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want and can shoot 70# why not? Never have felt a difference in drawing warm or cold either.

13. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    Patches 2565, Thanks for the offer, but I don't have the bow yet and after going a little overboard with getting stuff lately I better lay low for awhile and let the boss get used to the idea of a new bow for birthday.I may get back to you if still available in March.

Sota, I see what you're saying. As soon as I get my hands on the bow I think I'll see how smooth a draw I can do at different weights. I do seem to have a bit more of a problem drawing quietly and smoothly if I'm cold.

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site. I'm near your age-60-and what I've found is my eyesight is not what it used to be. I went with an HHA sight with a 4X lens and it really helps me past 20yds. How long has it been since you shot? If it's been more than 5-10 years, you will be astonished at what's available now. Best of luck to you.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

15. mike71198

mike71198 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure if you have shot other bows or not, but if you haven't I would look at a lot of different bows. If you just look at just Mathews you might miss a bow that was better fit for you. Don't limit yourself to just one brand, they all make great bows and don't just get a Mathews because that is what you always had. get what feels best for you. In the end it could still be a Mathews

16. preachnhunt

Dislikes Received:
    Good point. I am not 100% committed to the Mathews,but have a Mathews and like it. The main thing I am most committed to is the shop where I will buy the bow. They have been very helpful to me in the past and can do whatever I need if a problem arises. I intend to be loyal to them. They sell Mathews, but I'll see what else they have.

17. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    A good pro shop is most important.

I have never been able to shoot a Mathews because of their grip and my local shop has begun to sell a few other brands as well so I don't have to buy online only anymore.