Help me out.

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by Slugger, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Need some opinions and guidance. Looking to get a new grinder and dehydrator. Grinder usually gets used for around 5 dear a season and maybe a bear. Also some small burger batches I make up. I used to have the little grinder cabelas sells for around a $100. Should I stick with one like that or maybe cheaper or a bigger one. Thanks in advance.

2. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey brother,

I got my grinder from ****s sporting good it cost me about $100. I bought it about 4 years ago and processed about a dozen deer with it. The dehydrator I bought at walmart it was around $40 and made lots of jerky with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I had the oyster one I believe from walmart. I sold alot of my processing equipment before the drill field but now that I am done I am ready to get back at it.

4. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have a $100. One also. I have probably put over 20 deer through it. It's still working, just slower these days. The bigger commercial ones are so much faster, but your only saving time not the quality of the grind. Me personally can't justify $400. For a grinder, so I just take my time with the cheap one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My .2 cents go as much HP has you can get forget it. Just grind away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen cabelas have a few in the sub $100 to $200 range. I may look at one with a little more power for the speed of getting the process complete.

8. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i have a little #5 grinder and wish i had something better.
    ground 16 pounds the other day and the motor was HOT. Once i can, im upgrading

i was given a nice dehydrator as a gift, a cabelas brand one, so far i like it a lot, but ive never had issues even when using cheaper dehydrators

9. Luke79

Luke79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just upgraded to the cabelas 1.5 hp grinder. Wish I would have done this years ago. No more tedious cutting meat into small cubes. Just ground up 15lb of scrap in about 2 min and only had to cut it into pieces that would fit in the throat witch is quite large.

10. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got one from Northern tool a couple years ago. Have used it for deer and Horse Radish. Does a good job and they all need maintenance. Life time sealed bearing are for the sale of a replacement. I have re-greased mine once, got rid of that stiff Chinese stuff and put some quality grease in it and run a lot better. Using a dehydrator with 5 layers, no fan. One we got new, other one just like for $3 at a thrift store. 2 days to do a batch of apple chips.