Help me make sense of this.... Land owner question...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Oct 1, 2008.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let's start this off back in 2004...

My now father in law suggests I go talk to one of his buddies to secure permission to hunt...

I go meet the land owner and BS with him for a while.... He tells me "Yeah the 2 guys who hunt here get their bucks early every year, no problem!"

I never ended up hunting there that fall as I had bigger fish to fry else where and never went back to ask for permission again until this year...

So, I again go to talk with him and obtain permission to hunt. He now tells me that "We don't have any bucks around here, just does.... We never see any bucks." I tell him "I don't mind as I am just looking for another place to hunt around home" as I know better to believe such a claim....

So he grants me permission and tells me that I can only hunt on the weekdays and only one section of the property.... The exact opposite section of the property he suggested I hunt back in 2004.

He then tells me that his nephew is now hunting the property as well. He is driving back from school to hunt on the weekends, something like a 4 hour drive each way... This kid goes to school in a whitetail mecca with HIGH quality public land every where....

Then again today on my walk out he drives down the road to ask if I saw anything and to again tell me "I only see does around here".

What do you think is really going down? I have a hunch ;)

On a side note...

I did have 2 does and a button buck in range on the hunt, thought about shooting one but it was to early in the evening and it was to much big buck weather with the rain and cold.

2. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously he is keeping you away from where he thinks the bucks are.........no way his nephew drives 4 hours to hunt for does.

Too bad you didn't get your foot in the door when you had the chance.

I bet he won't even tell his nephew you are hunting during the week........can't blame him though for trying to keep the peace in the family.

3. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, agree 100% with atlas.

4. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing you live in OHIO, booner behind every tree:D

I agree with Atlas, and Greg as well.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know... With so many booners here, you would wonder why they are trying to keep something on such a down low..... :confused: :busted:

I really want to see what they are "hiding".... :deer:

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BTW for no bucks, I took this photo there a couple years ago, not huge but solid 140's anyhow.

[​IMG]

7. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well at least he gave you permission. It's not like the bucks won't show themselves if the does are around.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, and the section he told me I could hunt would probably be my first choice of where to go for a big buck, I bet they saw the buck / bucks on their summer pattern or something and assume they would stick to that area.

9. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    always hard to tell when land owners give it and take it back...i guess stand fast that you have a spot, knock down a GIANT and send him a pic with an xmas card=-)

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know I would gladly trade him this spot for the access he has at school.... He goes to school in Hocking/Athens counties Ohio.... Yeah, that's a good area :d

11. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    I got completely kicked out of a spot for good........still can't go back, for what I was "told" was a neighbor who was concerned about his kids saftey in the woods during the fall.

Turns out the next year the guy renting the farm house across the street tells me it was because a 12 point brute was filmed in the corn field late one evening.

People do weird things when they see or think a large buck is near.

The same guy that got me kicked out of there goes to EVERY farm I hunt EVERY year and asks them to kick me off their land and let him post the property.

The good news is that the land the farmer graciously offered as a replacement has provided me some very enjoyable hunting and a couple decent bucks for this area.

Such is life.

12. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ;) Noooooooo, there's no bucks around here. RRRRRRIIIIIGGGGGHHHHTTT! I agree with the others. but if you play it cool & keep the peace, then maybe it'll work out better for you in a couple of yrs. Afterall, you're lucky to be getting permisssion to hunt there anyway. Maybe go out there a couple times and help him with some work on his house or property. There's a guy who recently retired by us, and owns a large farm in Iowa. He has literally monsterour bucks on his property. He has only allowed one guys on our dept. to hunt there, because he went to Iowa & reroofed his house. Now one other guy has been allowed to hunt there, and he has gone out there 3 time this yr to work on his property. That might be your ticket to get to hunt the whole property in the future. I snow plow someone's land to get the opportunity to hunt it.

13. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah.....Hmmmmm.........I wonder what's going on there??? How funny is this gonna be in another month when you knock over a 150 from exactly where he told you to hunt?? I'm gonna LMAO, and I would bet a doughnut that when you do, he won't let you back next year. ;)

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know what I forgot to add...

He told me numerous times the day he gave me permission how one of the other guys who hunt there on the other side of the road keeps getting their cameras stolen.

When I hunted there the other day on my way out when he told me again "we only see does here" he told me the guy hunting across the road "just had another camera stolen"....

Who would really keep putting cameras up in the same spot if they keep getting taken? I think he is just trying to shy me away from wanting to use a camera there... I had no intentions of using one there this time of year anyhow.... I am not a fan of running a camera during the season. I use them for preseason "scouting" only for the most part.

15. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He probably just pieced together what a goofball you are and decided he didn't like the cut of your jib. Either that or he really doesn't want you killing the biggest buck he has ever seen on his property. It's a toss-up really.

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Sounds like that spot is a ticking time bomb.........hopefully you will be fortunate enough to tag a brute before being politely (or not) shown the door.

If I was a betting man my money would be on your first buck there also being your last.........considering your treatment to date.

Good luck man.........not telling you what to do but if I was in your shoes and I shot a nice buck there I may just get him in the truck as fast as possible and keep telling the owner I saw nothing or all does..........two can play that game ;)

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

The funny thing is he is polite and talkative, almost like we have known each other for years.... None of the odd silent moments if you know wha I mean.... I think he and his wife like me (whats not to like :confused: :d ) just maybe he is trying to hide "something" from me.... Watch it be a 120 inch 8 point :busted:

You and I are on the same wave length here :d

18. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an odd attraction in wanting to hunt this place because of this..... It's like the forbidden fruit.... I just gotta have it :d

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes exactly... It's like the good hurt when you touch your tongue to a 9V battery!:cool: