Help me choose a string dampener.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Sep 13, 2008.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I decided I am going to go all out in an attempt to eliminate as much string oscillation as possible out of my 2008 Allegiance. It is very quiet now with little oscillation featuring a MeanV suppressor and BowTech's string dampeners, but I would like to add other string dampeners as well.

So tell me what kind of dampeners you feel are most effective...

Simms, fleece balls, cat whiskers, etc.....

I have never used the fleece balls or many of the newer styles that Simms has or any newer styles similar to Simms design.

2. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the whiskers in the past with really good results.They may slow the string down a bit but with the surplus FPS your bow has it should not make much of a difference

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Guardian came with the rubber spider looking things. They didn't last much more than 100 shots. I put on some string leeches. They might have lasted a couple hundred and tore off. I then put on some cat wiskers and trimmed em pretty short. Maybe an inch or so on either side of the string. They have been there ever since and do a great job of silenceing.

Don't go with the fleece balls. Get them wet and your screwed, they will weigh a ton. And every burr in the county will be attached to your bow string.:d

4. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta agree with John 100%. I think Cat Whiskers are the way to go. Trimmed real short, just like John said. This will give you a good balance of retention of speed and string silencing.

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, cat whiskers rock!!!

6. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scott cat whiskers work well. You should have them cut in a ball shape though. They look better. Dave did some for me on my Tribute and I was completely satisfied with them.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the cat whiskers numerous times in the past... Trimmed as described... I was looking to see if there was any thing newer that is better.... Guess not :confused: :d

My BowTech string dampners are still in really good condition. I think only one of the arms has broke off so far.

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Id stay away from the fleece. wet is there enemy. I have used cat whiskers in the past and had great luck with them.

9. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, when I blew the factory dampeners off, Matt suggested Sims Crossbow dampeners for the string, they've held up two years and with the MeanV, it seems as quiet as any.

10. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have also heard the crossbow Sims dampeners work better as well.

11. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Cat Whiskers as well. I like to fold them 3 times and then tie them on and cut at the folds and it makes a nice ball. I tie on differant colors to give it a camo look.

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the bowjax products. The ones that zip tie on are great IMO. They really quiet things down and are very tough. They have new ones out that go in between the string like leeches, but I haven’t tried them yet.

13. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just tried the cat whiskers but had a hell of a time tieing them onto the string. I was using serving thread and I think it's too thick. What do you all do?

14. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same as the others, cat whiskers. Hey another thing you might try is adding a dampner to your rise. I see bojax has come out w/a new item for placing into the cutouts on the riser. I just took an simms alphashock split limb riser & put in the farthest cut outs on the riser, top & bottom. cheap investment, about $12. made quite a bit of difference in vibration. no its just dead when the arrow goes.

15. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've installed probably hundreds of the sims crossbow silencers on bows when I was at the shop still. I put them on my hunting bows the past several years too. They all worked and held up pretty well.