Help finding property lines?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Battle734, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips for helping me find my property lines. I just acquired 35 acres of nice woods from a new home developer. He said I could hunt it if I post the woods part of the property for him. He is old and doesn't want to actually walk the perimeter with me but said the surveyor was there a few months ago. I'm having trouble first finding the deepwoods corner stake, and also once found wondering how to keep a straight line between both points. Any tips?

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father and I had four corners marked on our 40 acres to start. If you can find one stake just use a compass and a laser to keep a straight line and mark the perimeter with tape. Its best to do with two people but we got our 40 "marked" in a day.

Also check your town hall for tax maps, these may help visualize what you need to mark

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just went through this process. I used the survey and a plot platter program to convert the survey data to GPS coordinates. I then entered that info into my GPS and bam! It lead me within 15 ft of each stake!

4. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What would have made this really nice if the tax surveying sheet i got from the town came with some coordinates to the stakes. all i got is footage and what degree turn it takes from one stake to another. i have found the stakes that are in the farming fields but im sure you all know one you get a little bit in the woods its easy to go a stray a bit. today i will be just copmbing the whole corner searching with three friends